• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 512MB enough for intense gaming and xp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veryhumid

Hey guys, I have some 4000 now but I can never get it up to 250 1:1. I was thinking of getting some 4400, and saving a lot of money by getting a 512 dual channel set instead of a 1024 set. Is 512 enough for the new games out?

Nope, if you want to 'hang' with the new games(which looking at your video card and processor you can) you should really get a gig of ram. I'm actually going to upgrade to a gig of ram soon also. When it comes to multitasking, a gig of ram will help more than 512mb, even if it can run at 2-2-2-11 :(

WHAT? I have some really cheap ram, 512 mb of Kingston DualChannel Valuram and I can run games perfectly. I don't think theres a need for 1 gig of it...... In my opinion 512 mb of dualchannel ram will do the job. I run any new game with almost maxed setings just fine even with my cheapo ram and the other stuff. However, if you have the money, and see an oppurtunity to upgrade your
system, go for it.

By new game, I'm assuming new games like Far Cry (which according to a lot of people needs a gig) and future games like Quake3, Half Life 2, etc (which certainly need a gig, imo)

I borrowed one of my friend's 512 sticks and put it with my 512 stick, and I gained like 7-8fps on the farcry benchmark.

Loading was much faster too.

okay, seems like there are some immediate benefits, plus there are some big games on the way. I guess i will just have to save longer :D Thanks for the input guys!

yeah i noticed the battlefields using 400+ MBs of ram....i've actually never seen Far Cry use more then 500MBs.....Star Wars Galaxies i have seen using 800+MBs.. :eek:

sweetness, seems very clear now. Well my current mem (1024MB) is rated to 250, but i can never get it stable up there. I guess I will run it at 5:4 until I can afford better stuff. 800MB for galaxies :O

I run vietnam nicely with only 512.. Hmmm. Strange. My bro runs farcry with ease at near the max settings (as well as I) and my bro has pc2100 ram, and its not even dualchannel (for graphics bro has r9800 pro). I have been thinking of getting new ram, andI have the money, but as far as I know, I have no need for it.

Last edited:
veryhumid said:
sweetness, seems very clear now. Well my current mem (1024MB) is rated to 250, but i can never get it stable up there. I guess I will run it at 5:4 until I can afford better stuff. 800MB for galaxies :O

By current ram, do you mean the Corsair 4000 Pro on your sig?

If so, how do you know it's your ram? memtest errors or something?

The reason I ask is because I'm currently in hunt for some pc4000 but don't know what to get :(

Back