• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 775 dead / Most Future Proof Socket Now?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

x30Jx

So I am going to be building my first ever rig this spring, starting to get ready now :D (Got some part this morning!!)

Right now I have a Dell with a Q9550 and 8 Gb's of DDR2 RAM (among other things)

Leading to my first question: Should I just buy a kick *** 775 motherboard and pull a frankenbuild?

which lead to the Second: Or should I construct an entire new system?

Keep in mind that I want this system to last at least 4 years, as I am about to head off to university, but i should be stabilized by then. (Yes, i know 4 years is an EON in computers, but hey, people are still looking fr help overclocking E5200's so, hey.)

freeagent

Thats a good question.. To be honest Im still fairly content with my Q6600.. I would have been happy with a 9550 in my setup.. I just traded my q66 and some cash for a 1366 cpu. So I would say if you are still content with your setup, maybe get a board and rev up your cpu.. but if you must have the powa, then 1366 is probably in your future :thup:

jmdixon85

I wouldn't buy skt775 now. Depending on your budget skt1333 would be the most future proof option. Could you list your budget and hardware you have already got that you are planning to use in the new build. Building a system that would last 4 years in not an easy thing to do, and if your a gamer I'm not sure if there's any video card out there right now that could still handle games at decent settings in 4 years time.

OP
x30Jx

x30Jx

Currently rocking:

Q9550 (not OC'd) | 8 Gb DDR2 RAM @ 800 MHz | XFX 9500 GT | Dell M017G | Hdd's and such

I want to go w3ith either i5 or i7, don't much care, but I really prefer mATX and i want to ... run an unauthorized OS on it (shhhh... Snow leopard...)

jmdixon85

Well if you want to go with i5 or i7, I would say that you need to consider your budget for the built. If you can affort to go i7 then that would definatly be the best choice. Higher performance than i5 and more future proof.

rainless

Old Member
So I am going to be building my first ever rig this spring, starting to get ready now :D (Got some part this morning!!)

Right now I have a Dell with a Q9550 and 8 Gb's of DDR2 RAM (among other things)

Leading to my first question: Should I just buy a kick *** 775 motherboard and pull a frankenbuild?

which lead to the Second: Or should I construct an entire new system?

Keep in mind that I want this system to last at least 4 years, as I am about to head off to university, but i should be stabilized by then. (Yes, i know 4 years is an EON in computers, but hey, people are still looking fr help overclocking E5200's so, hey.)

Alright. Let's set the record straight:

There's no such thing as "most future proof" because there's no such thing as "future proof."

...especially not as far as computers are concerned.

As far as a computer that's going to "last" for four years... well that depends on what you're going to do with it.

I'm a writer and I got this gateway laptop four years ago and I'm still using it to write. So I guess it's lasted four years. If you're just going to be doing your homework (depending on what that homework is...) and surfing the internet, then the rig you have right now would last you four years.

Hell... even playing games it might last four years if you upgrade that god-awful video card you have in there. (All the do is make ports of console games nowadays anyway. It's unlikely you'll see another Oblivion or Crysis 1 resource hog coming down the pike.)

I'm skeptical of the i7/i5s because I don't need them. (And on my desktop I do a hell of a lot more than write.) I've got this E8400 humming along at 4.65ghz. I edit video, play any game that comes out, mix audio, encode a variety of video formats... My current rig has yet to so much as BLINK no matter what I've thrown at it.

If I get an HD video camera and start encoding in 1080p... then I might actually get what you've got: a Q9550. But I'm skipping the "i" generation altogether. There's just no logical need for me to build a new system.

...or YOU for that matter. It wouldn't make any sense to build a 775 system if you've already got one. If you want to build a new computer just for the sake of building a computer... then you might as well go i5 or i7.

Otherwise you're better off upgrading your video card and calling it a day.

cyberfish

Building a future-proof computer is easy.

Use half the money to build a computer you need RIGHT NOW. Don't think about future-proofing.

Then, in 2-3 years, build another computer with the other half.

In the end, you would've spent the same amount of money, and the computer you can build in 2-3 years with half the money will surely be better than the one you can build now with twice the money. Even more so if you can reuse some parts, like the case and the power supply at least. Maybe harddrives.

Only money is future-proof.

As for the sockets, i7 is not any more future-proof than 775. In 4 years, they will BOTH be obsolete anyways. Does it matter if you are on a P2 vs P3 right now if they have similar performance? P3 might be more "future proof" (and costed a lot more) than a P2, but are you going to upgrade to a faster P3 now?

Dapman02

Currently rocking:

Q9550 (not OC'd) | 8 Gb DDR2 RAM @ 800 MHz | XFX 9500 GT | Dell M017G | Hdd's and such

I want to go w3ith either i5 or i7, don't much care, but I really prefer mATX and i want to ... run an unauthorized OS on it (shhhh... Snow leopard...)

honestly that system looks pretty good
are you having any issues with running games or anything. If I were in your shoes I would just overclock the cpu and leave it. Also upgrade the video card if your gaming

MIAHALLEN

You wanna get good at overclocking??? Join the benching team, click the link in my sig :)

Brutal-Force

For me its about bang for your buck.

I managed to pick up a Q6600 and P5Q board and 8GB of Ram when the components were dirt Cheap. I probably payed about 275 dollars total for them. I just managed to find someone who will sell me a decent i5 mobo and i5 proc for 250, add another 180 for ram, I will end up with a 150 dollar upgrade. Not that big of a diff in speed, however I will be on a newer platform in case they come out with a real killer for the 1156 platform. Otherwise, I can resell what I have when something better comes out for little loss on what I have.