• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is a glossy LCD worth the money? (and other related questions)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tLove

Wow, its been awhile since I've been on here. Eh, now-a-days if I post, its just for advice.

So I'm in the market for a new LCD. Currently I have a 19" widescreen LCD (Viewsonic) and it has served me well for a year and a half. But I would really enjoy something larger. So I've been looking almost entirely at 22" LCDs. I'm your B-rated buyer (Acer, Viewsonic, BenQ, etc).

Anyway, I've had my eye on this Acer model
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_mmc=email-_-IGNELCD070607-_-L2L-_-24009094
24-009-094-04.jpg
Looks like a really good buy...
Resolution =1680 x 1050
Brightness = 300 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio = 700:1
Response Time = 5ms
DVI & VGA

Then I noticed this other Acer model
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009111
24-009-111-14.jpg
Same everything except it has 1000:1 contrast ratio :), and a "Glossy" screen.

The reviews for both of them are really good, and exceptionally good for the latter. The only thing is the price. Each (including shipping & handling) is $255 & $280 respectively. So I'm curious... is the extra $25 for the glossy screen worth it along with the higher contrast ratio? Things I would be using this monitor for include watching movies, Illustrator work, and a lot of web usage. Minimal gaming (due to my gaming hobby slowly dying).

Also, would anybody else have any recommendations? I would really like to keep it up $270, but if spending an extra $20 to $30 gets me so much more, than I'm willing to sacrifice.

Is there anything I should be holding out for either? I know SEDs are still probably 2 years off from being consumer ready/retail. What I mean are price drops or something like that? Cause I bought this monitor (19" wide LCD) @ $300 January 2006. It's now worth around $180.

Last thing... selling my current montior to a friend for $130 would be a pretty good deal on both ends correct? I want it to be fair... mines in perfect condition (no dead pixels), free shipping (lol), and probably still has many years of fine use in it.

So yea, recap...
1. 22" glossy good? (yes or no)
2. future things I should wait for? (btw, have to have a new one before the new school year)
3. is $130 a fair price?

The thing about glossy screens is they act almost like mirrors. Everything reflects in it and if you have a light source anywhere behind you when you are looking at the panel it will reflect considerably.

We had a dell laptop with one of their glossy screens, it was awefull. Sure it would be great for watching a movie as long as nothing behind you will get in the reflection. My opinion i stay away from them unless you watch movies primarily.

I personally like glossy, but the key word is 'personally' everyone's vision and preferences are different. I'm also coming off a CRT where some reflections are expected. If you aren't silly with setting up a glossy screen, for example having lights directly behind you, then they are as good as other LCDs. I suggest trying one out from a retail store with an easy return policy to see for yourself, that's the only way to know for you.

There's another bargain at Newegg on an Acer btw, the 2051W. I believe it's being EOL'd so it's cheap at ~$250 shipped. While it's a 20" and slightly smaller it's a P-MVA rather than a TN panel like all 22"ers. The newer TNs are very good but if you're serious about Illustrator or other such programs where true colors are important this type of panel may suit you better.

go to a store and look at some glossy monitors and normal ones if you can. I personally like neither so I soak my panels in water to remove filtering but then again I dont really like warranties either.

I have a glossy WXGA monitor..its a 17inch it actually makes games and pictures look more vivid... Like crisp not all smooth and blury like regular LCD monitors.. I say go for it

With Glossy, picture quality is a little better, but you will never get used to looking in the mirror.
Doesn't matter if its day or night, you will always see your self or anything behind you and around you in the reflection of the screen.

this isn't really your question, but I just wanted to point out that 1680x1050 is the same resolution that you get on 20" ws panels, so a 22" is just going to space out the pixels more which means less image quality. Now, that might be fine for you, but I would buy a 20" over a 22" with the same resolution.

So for me, the choice would be to buy a 20" ws or a 24" ws. The 24" takes you up to 1920x1200 resolution but of course adds significant moneys.

I also wanted to note that both of those screens you linked to do not have height adjustment. It might not seem like a big deal to you, but it is for me as it makes my neck hurt to continuously look down at the screen.

So, I just wanted to throw those points out there as something to consider.

Splat.

I did have that small issue with my 22" WS Gateway, but if you use DVI-D cable, that solves the issues and improves the picture quality. It makes images sharper.

Bigger panel with same res = sit a bit further back. It's all about perceived pixel pitch not actual pitch. Problem solved :p

ooo good responses. I always loved this forum.:beer:

Anyway... I like the answers. I know I'm not getting any better resolution with a 22" over a 20" and I thought that over quite a bit. Twenty Four inches is just too far out of my price limit... it moves from a fun toy to an investment. And the extra 2" comes into play when watching movies :).

So, basically most people would agree that I have to go to a store to see if the glossy screen is right for me. I've read reviews that they aren't quite like the mirror's people claim them to be. Ah, well.

Height adjustment doesn't bother me... that's why people invented chairs with height adjustment.

I'll be sitting roughly 1.5'-2' from the monitor, and probably 6-8' while watching movies (laying on a bed).

So nothing to look for in the near future of monitors? And is $130 a good asking price for a 1.5 year old 19" wide LCD viewsonic? (va1912wb)

tLove said:
I'll be sitting roughly 1.5'-2' from the monitor, and probably 6-8' while watching movies (laying on a bed).

the 22" will be better when you are sitting further away, but when you are sitting at the desk you will notice the difference. I know I can see the difference at arms length away.

But as others said, the best thing to do is to see the screen in person and make sure you are happy with the picture quality.

Back