• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is a shroud always a good thing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaltag

I've got the panaflo L1A 68cfm i believe and i would like to know if putting it on a shroud versus attached directly to the radiator would improve temps much? since the cfm is so low to begin with won't it drop even more if it's pulling over the entire rad?

P.S. i've got the 76 chevette core

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
kaltag said:
I've got the panaflo L1A 68cfm i believe and i would like to know if putting it on a shroud versus attached directly to the radiator would improve temps much? since the cfm is so low to begin with won't it drop even more if it's pulling over the entire rad?

P.S. i've got the 76 chevette core
Yes a shroud is a good improvement. With no shroud, you have HUGE dead spots over the rad with NO airflow, not good. A shroud will optimize airflow and create airflow over the entire surface area of the rad. 2 shrouds is best.

juliendogg

shroud definately helps provide more even cooling of the rad, i'd say just big enough to keep the fan about 1 inch from the surface of the rad would be plenty, maybe even less would suffice. i made my shroud in about 20 minutes from some copper flashing, siliconed it to the rad. works like a dream

OP
kaltag

kaltag

i know it isn't that hard to make one just curious on your thoughts. unfortunately i don't have the option to use a shroud on the front. at least i can't and keep it esthetically *SP* pleasing.

SkiFletch

shrouds ARE important. I tested it out a little bit with my big arse serck radiator. put one fan on it strapped to the side, got temps of around 52c idle. put that one fan in a shroud, and got temps of 36c idle... you do the math :eek: