• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is a shroud made of cardboard and duct tape good enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Roger24

Will that decrease performance too much? Just asking, cause it would be much easier to make than a metal one (saw something like that on the FrankenCooler II article)

cw823

Honeybadger Moderator
My guess it would be functional.....though I'm sure you won't be posting any pics of it online! :)

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
cw823 said:
My guess it would be functional.....though I'm sure you won't be posting any pics of it online! :)

haha

but by all means if it works then do it. I am sure a much better solution is out there but that is not what this thread is about. I say go for it and post pics anyway:) I am going to make a duct out of plexi- it won't be the most efficient one but i know it will get the job done:)

Iron Hawk

When it comes to ducts and shrouds anything will work. If you keep all of the seams airtight a cardboard shroud will work just as good. The only thing that may hinder the performance ever so slightly is the fact that cardboard may be slightly rougher than metal, desturbing the airflow just a little tiny bit.

KingB

I'm making one out of ducting sheet metal and HVAC aluminum foil tape. I think it will look arlright and be function. It will be easily cut with a pair of tin snips too. Not promising any pics until it is done though LOL.:)

Just as easy as carboard and duct tape, but will look a little more professional.

OP
R

Roger24

Thanks for the replies. I'm not so worried about looks, since I'm not into that kind of modding :)
I'll make one of cardboard then.
Is the optimum depth of the shroud determined by the size of the fan, or is around 1" optimal?

Ugmore Baggage

I'd be afreaid of putting any bare metal into my case.

I'm going with plexi, when I get around to it -- right now I have cardboard in it (my case badge says "Cardboard inside" LOL). I think wrapping all the edges of the cardboard with duct tape helps... alright call it a superstition but that's what I did -- I think Red Green would agree.

plague

i use a cardboard shroud, works just fine. its held onto the rad with paperclips bent to make some sweet hooks ;)

OP
R

Roger24

Interesting, I didn't even think of the noise reduction issue :)
But the fan is gonna have to be screwed on to the case, so I wonder if there are any simple, easy ways of reducing vibration noise from the fan even more when mounting it to the case, like rubber washers or something?

res0r9lm

Roger24 said:
Interesting, I didn't even think of the noise reduction issue :)
But the fan is gonna have to be screwed on to the case, so I wonder if there are any simple, easy ways of reducing vibration noise from the fan even more when mounting it to the case, like rubber washers or something?

some O-rings or rubber washers at the hardware store should work

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
Make the shroud 2" thick and put the fan on the inside. Then the cardboard would be your vibration damper.

mcrites

I just got 2 shrouds from dtekcustoms and they are pretty nice for the lazy/no tools among us. They should fit most of the small heatercores, and they have a neoprene sealing against the heatercore . They are held on by bolts inserted through the heatercore. The only problem I had with it is the hole in the middle of the shroud is razor sharp, I think I cut my hand a dozen times forgetting how sharpt it was while putting it on. :D

Lou Natic

If you're worried about the cardboard being too rough for smooth airflow, you could always use that clear lamination stuff on-top of the cardboard. If you're creative, you could figure out a way to use it to cover the seams and round them off a bit.