• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is AMD a sinking ship?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
How can you call someone else a fanboy when you have an avatar for a chip that hasn't even been released yet?

I really don't think companies "go out of business" in the traditional sense of the term, nor do I think that's what aaron was implying. More than likely they would be bought out by someone with a little money and clout (IBM, Texas Instruments, whoever...) and they'd keep the AMD brand name.

So the apocalypse you're on about with Intel being the only chip manufacturer will never happen. There's always been somebody else making chips. I had an IBM processor for a while. I think S3 was making processors for a while. AMD just happened to get damned lucky. And any big time chip manufacturer will be able to buy them for a song if it came down to that, and then they'd have the new management you're talking about.

And it's a bit immature to cry "fanboy" whenever anybody disagrees with you. "The 2900XT is loud." FANBOY! "AMD is in trouble." FANBOY! Let's stick to the facts and the issues and avoid petty name-calling shall we?

and you say i'm immature wow. enough said on that subject.
o yeah i support a company you got a problem with it? o well i could care less.
but yet again amd is in debt, yes their in trouble, yes, i just dont see them dieing so quickly.
i would rather like to buy from AMD even though their product is slower heck mabey it cost more, i would rather see them stick around and show us what they got then dieing off and becoming a mark on the back of another company's box.
and as said in my sig i admit i'm a fan boy but apparently some people cant seem to bring it out.

but yet again amd is in debt, yes their in trouble, yes, i just dont see them dieing so quickly.
i would rather like to buy from AMD even though their product is slower heck mabey it cost more, i would rather see them stick around and show us what they got then dieing off and becoming a mark on the back of another company's box.
and as said in my sig i admit i'm a fan boy but apparently some people cant seem to bring it out.

I don't understand what you are saying ...

I doubt AMD will die out o_O

The lively discussion on the topic of if AMD is going to die or crap out is ok. When it gets confrontational. That is the line, where it stops. No more of the pushing a personal attack or flame baiting.

IBM or anyone picking up AMD is not gonna happen, the x86 license can (and will?) be canceled in case of "Change of Control". AMD can sell parts of their business but the core x86 part of AMD cant have too much changes in ownership structure. If someone who didnt previously own at least 50% make a buy or series of buys that give them more than 50% of AMDs shares its game over for making x86 (unless the situation is rectified within 60 days or something). I just wrote this out of memory now, based on my understanding of it upon the time of reading it, hope its not too far off...

From the way this thread is turning out over the last page im not going to pick sides but i can say as much as i agree in much of what knightwolf is saying. I used to be an AMD fan myself, and like to think i had some good reasons for it at the time, no doubt AMD is needed and we wouldnt have nearly as fast Intels today without them, and while it will probably not be as terrible without AMD as you seem to think Knightwolf, it would surely never be the same again. To quote Anandtech:
AMD is still a raw business, sometimes for the better, other times for the worst. Yet we can't understate just how important they've been for the x86 industry.

I remeber when Cyrix bottomed out. There was a couple of companies that picked them up. It is not just the x86 processor that a company will want. In AMD's case. It is the div that makes memory too. Plus they will be getting ATi. So if AMD did bottom out and crash face first. There is still hope that something will happen out of it. Even if they do what they entered the game doing. Making processors and flash memory for others on a contract basis. Pehapds they could go back to the role of doing Intel overflow. They could even do IBM or other chip maker overflow also, and still work the fabs.

How ironic would that be if they were just a company name making their own stuff under contract. Unlikely, but stranger things have happened in the electronics world.

The real loss would be no new AMD CPU designs.

There can also be another reason why AMD decided to push only 2.2ghz -2.4ghz. For example, AMD may want to give an illusion that its chips can overclock well because they know that this few months intel is going to be promoting the overclocking of the penryn to get sales as there really isnt much of a performance advantage over 65nm. So AMD may just offer lower clocks just to entice the audience with a seemingly larger margin in overclocking. Maybe they can actually clock over 3ghz on a regular bases which I doubt but it could be possible. Then AMD fans can be partially happy and it will also lead to more product support like well if I want to overclock I need an 790 chipset or AM2+ board. Or hell if I get the board might as pick up two ATI graphics cards and it will be great. So it can be a gimmick to provide an illusion to their audience that they can reach a higher level even though they cant clock pass a certain mark just yet. Possibly later steppings will provide even 3.6ghz which will put them a lot closer to intel and sli nvidia chipset which is the only one offering SLI Im guessing but unfortunately they cannot clock as high as an intel chipset.

If that is indeed what they are doing then all of their executives should be fired....NOW. That would be the most idiotic business strategy undertaken by any company ever. You don't release a crappy product with the hopes that 1% of your userbase can squeeze out some decent performance with it.

If AMD could sell 3Ghz Phenoms right now within a reasonable power envelope (thats the big failing point here), they would.

Its not illegal to be a monopoly if your competition died due to their own incompetence.

In answer to the writer of that review:

We haven't forgotten about the past...

...the past is just OVER.

I think these are some pretty important points not to gloss over. People tend to think of this as the usual flip flop (most of this paragraph will be in reference to the article quoted in the OP) but in this case it doesn't make a difference what AMD makes. They could make the best CPU ever, but when the company is being mismanaged then it'll all be for not.

I don't understand what you are saying ...

+1

And what's your problem (Knight) with the AMD name being on somebody else's box? Isn't that exactly what happened with ATI? It happens all the time. More or less the same people will be making the same product (hopefully better...) and it'll have the same name.

The only difference will be a change in ownership. Why would you care about that?

IBM or anyone picking up AMD is not gonna happen, the x86 license can (and will?) be canceled in case of "Change of Control". AMD can sell parts of their business but the core x86 part of AMD cant have too much changes in ownership structure. If someone who didnt previously own at least 50% make a buy or series of buys that give them more than 50% of AMDs shares its game over for making x86 (unless the situation is rectified within 60 days or something). I just wrote this out of memory now, based on my understanding of it upon the time of reading it, hope its not too far off...

From the way this thread is turning out over the last page im not going to pick sides but i can say as much as i agree in much of what knightwolf is saying. I used to be an AMD fan myself, and like to think i had some good reasons for it at the time, no doubt AMD is needed and we wouldnt have nearly as fast Intels today without them, and while it will probably not be as terrible without AMD as you seem to think Knightwolf, it would surely never be the same again.

I'm sure there's some complicated legal manuever that somebody with the right money could figure out to buy AMD and still keep the x86 liscence. It would be a full-time job for an entire team of lawyers and economists, but there's no such thing as "impossible" in the business world.

How ironic would that be if they were just a company name making their own stuff under contract. Unlikely, but stranger things have happened in the electronics world.
Isn't that exactly what's happened to ATI?

Last edited:
The DaAMit entity might survive under new ownership or at the very least, new management. It's just a matter of time before Hector and friends get turned out.

Intel wants to crush them and can. Not with their technological prowess, but with their extremely deep pockets.

AMD has great technology but an ill advised stupid business management.

not what i meant, i meant another box with a nice logo and what not then in the fine print after searching for a hour you finally find it in 2 pt print on the back of it. as long as they keep the same idea and name its all cool, i just don't want them to go, if they go x86 chips will not advance as quick as they are today.
10 years from now i dont think you want a revision Z1 of yorkfeild do you?
i would hope not, you would rather see some beast with 80 cores and 5 Gigs of L0 on a 1nm process or something like that lol

Last edited:
not what i meant, i meant another box with a nice logo and what not then in the fine print after searching for a hour you finally find it in 2 pt print on the back of it. as long as they keep the same idea and name its all cool, i just don't want them to go, if they go x86 chips will not advance as quick as they are today.
i would hope not, you would rather see some beast with 80 cores and 5 Gigs of L0 on a 1nm process or something like that lol

Hell... I was hoping they'd have all that out before Crysis gets released. ;)

I understand what you were saying now: Like an IBM box with AMD printed somewhere in the back of the manual on page 17 in the warranty information.

rainless said:
Isn't that exactly what's happened to ATI?
Me said:
Ironic isn't it? There is so many shuffles in the computer market. Who cares which is which any more. Long as each factory is putting out what we desire at a good price and in excellent quantity and quality. Edit: Sapphire did a good job under contract for ATi printing the pcb, then shipping them out as ATi products.

With a known variable, least we know what is going on. When AMD starts floating half rumors. Everyone gets their panties in a bunch. The road map is a mess They do not give good previews of the upcoming tech at the trade shows. To ice the cake. There is shortage of consumer based models of existing product lines. Leaving everyone sitting around forums speculating.

Last edited:
Ironic isn't it? There is so many shuffles in the computer market. Who cares which is which any more. Long as each factory is putting out what we desire at a good price and in excellent quantity and quality. Edit: Sapphire did a good job under contract for ATi printing the pcb, then shipping them out as ATi products.

With a known variable, least we know what is going on. When AMD starts floating half rumors. Everyone gets their panties in a bunch. The road map is a mess They do not give good previews of the upcoming tech at the trade shows. To ice the cake. There is shortage of consumer based models of existing product lines. Leaving everyone sitting around forums speculating.

I don't like AMD's overall management at all. Haven't liked it, actually, since I was an AMD customer just a short year and a half ago.

I could've gone either way when upgrade time came around, but I was already frustrated with them by then.

I'd love to see a return of the company that made me switch from intel way back in the Pentium III days.

If it takes new management, so be it. If a company has to buy them out to get that new management, then I have no problem with that.

But I'm tired of all these Phantom processors and Ghost motherboards.

Of course they would but you said yourself they cant because of high TDp and voltage regulations. That is also reason why intel wasnt able to sell over 3ghz parts on the core 2 although they clocked fine at 3.6ghz and some at 4ghz. Maybe the highest they can go is 2.4ghz because of regulations and such.It doesnt mean they cant overclock high necessarily. but anyway this is all assumption and I highly doubt that they will have chips that clock high on a regular bases.

Actually if you look at the track record AMD seems to more coincide with the later. Massive variation in peak over clocks amongst chips.

All of AMDs resources are in fusion. I don't expect nothing beating out what Intel has until 2009 which I think AMD is ready for. They are concentrating on the ATI side for now.

That requires software support while I find Tesla, Fusion and Larrabee the biggest thing in a while what gives us computing boost, it's going to take years till we see real support for it and even more till it will be necessary.

Unlikely, Not only does Via have an x86 License (Purchased from National Semiconductor who had purchased Cyrix) but IBM would swoop up AMD or at least it's IP if it was to go under. Remember that IBM is trying to become a CPU company these days and the CELL hasn't exactly taken the world by storm as quickly as they'd like ;).

TBH rainless, it is drving me nuts not knowing what direction to go. I am about, ( thumb and index slightly apart <the percieved size of Mr. Ruiz's brain>) from my next upgrade. I seen a few boards I like, nothing amazing, but ok. For the CPU, right now, I see nothing I like in what I want. I would like to see if I am going to wait out AMD or be forced to jump ship. Since I dig the chipsets of the AMD boards. I am hoping I can have a nice pick out of that.

It would of been nice to not have all that dang hush hush out of AMD of late. I would of started my build probably. Without a solid pick on CPU. AMD is flotsam to me. Is this new line going to be the jetsam? (ha ha flotsam and jetsam, mentioning jumping ship, dang I'm crafty.)

Unlikely, Not only does Via have an x86 License (Purchased from National Semiconductor who had purchased Cyrix) but IBM would swoop up AMD or at least it's IP if it was to go under. Remember that IBM is trying to become a CPU company these days and the CELL hasn't exactly taken the world by storm as quickly as they'd like ;).

Yeah, like I mentioned early, IBM would certainly be both the most likely buyer and the most serious competitor to Intel since... welll.. AMD.

Of course they would but you said yourself they cant because of high TDp and voltage regulations. That is also reason why intel wasnt able to sell over 3ghz parts on the core 2 although they clocked fine at 3.6ghz and some at 4ghz. Maybe the highest they can go is 2.4ghz because of regulations and such.It doesnt mean they cant overclock high necessarily. but anyway this is all assumption and I highly doubt that they will have chips that clock high on a regular bases.

Actually if you look at the track record AMD seems to more coincide with the later. Massive variation in peak over clocks amongst chips.

Intel isn't selling higher speed Core 2 Duos at the moment because they have no reason to. There is no competition from AMD on that front, why release faster processors and push their profit margins down. Before Penryn they probably had power issues with high speed quads. Right now though they are sitting on the ability to release higher clocked chips, and they will whenever AMD gets near their clock speeds and performance.

Back