• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is anyone using a zalman gpu cooler on there 9800xt?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veryhumid

I was wondering if it would fit first of all. Zalman says it will fit on anything with mounting holes around the gpu. Do ATI cards have these holes? What performance increases have you seen on your overclock and running temperatures? I wanted to wait for the new VGA silencer, I got an e-mail back from them saying they would have one for the 9800xt on the market, but that was months ago and I have still heard nothing about it.

OP
V

veryhumid

sweetness, thanks guys. I was thinking about getting the ocz copper ramsinks if they will fit. How many chips does a 256MB card have?

phoenix111384

i believe 8? don't blame me if i'm wrong :p be careful about the size of the ramsinks for the back of the card. the mounting plate for the back is much thinner, so you won't have as much clearance as in the front. oh and if you're interested, the new version of the gpu heatsink ZM80D-HP has two heatpipes and comes with ramsinks designed specifically for it.

OP
V

veryhumid

oh i am very very interested it that, I was thinking that i could fit some nicer copper ocz ramsinks instead of the ones that come with it.

phoenix111384

lol, true. copper is better than aluminum. are you going to be installing the optional slim 80 mm fan? i'm very tempted to get the ZM80D but i don't know how loud that fan is. evidently anything above a 9800 needs that fan, and i have an x800 pro.

Nightingale

I ordered one because its supposed to be slightly better then the VGA silencer. I didn't get the fan because I feel I have adequate case airflow and if not then I can probably rig up a couple extra case fans to blow onto it. From the reviews I have read the optional fan boosts cooling significantly, its quiet,moves lots of air, and is adjustable. Getting anxious to get my 9800pro that was supposed to be here today, but it was shipped by USPS so you do the math.

tjr1973

I had one on my 9800XT and it worked fine. Cooled the card down considerably also. Just be careful...that thing is freakin heavy and can cause problems if you move your computer around much. If you do...just take the card out.