• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is CLR safe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tseongsun

I remember reading posts that said to clean out your loop using CLR if you get gross buildup and it also helps to use it to flush out the res.

I wonder though, is CLR safe for the inside of my plastic pump? It won't eat away at the rubber o-ring or make the plastic weak will it?

there's no way to tell for sure unless you know what the pump and gaskets are made of. How about just pouring it into the rad using a funnel? then, you could flush the rad with lots of fresh water in a sink or tub and never have to recirculate CLR through your pump.

CLR's just fine. It's not really that strong, and if it were, my Danner wouldn't be in it's 3rd year of cooling my rigs.
I just drain my rig, add CLR, top off with fresh water, and run it for an hour or two.
Flush it very well, however. Since it is an acid (however mild), it can easily promote the battery effect if you don't flush it good a couple of times with fresh water (same with vinegar).

thanks guys... I never flushed out my rad thoroughly and so now I have this white residue in my tubes. I'll probably just go with some diluted CLR to really flush it out and then after that use vinegar as neccessary

Back