• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is epoxy a good sealant for a water block?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Szech

No special epoxy, just $1.89 made by super glue corporation, and dispensed from two tubes epoxy. Is epoxy generally water proof and water tight? Is it a good choice for a sealant between the cap and the base? Is there something better out there?

thanks!

I'd think a good epoxy is.......I use JB Weld on everything from plastic to wood.......and even a couple water blocks. Local automotive stores carry it and it's sorta cheap too....maybe $3 usa

JB Weld. Other epoxies will work. The 5 minute types are only water resistant and should not be used. Be sure to read the fine print on the package.

I used JB weld on 2 waterblocks so far and I haven't had any leaks yet.. Just use the slow setting one because it is MUCH stronger. Almost as strong as the steel that's in it (so they claim). And it IS quite permanent.

I have made a couple using marine epoxy, and they so far have performed fine. you just have to use enough, and let it cure properly.

Cool. I have some JB weld, in addition to the Super Glue epoxy, so I think I'll use the JB weld.

Is the fact that it has steel in it going to be a problem? (dissimilar metals?)

I tryed using JB weld and it came apart when I was testing it

I also used some betting epoxy and it came apart as well

I was using bettween copper and plaster with about 1 inch of surface area on all sides

That's strange... I used jbweld from aluminum to plastic, and copper to copper. Haven't had a problem yet.

I donno the first day it works find but the second the glue wast holding to the metal

I had a fair amount of epoxy there too and let it dry for 2 days

Warlord2 (May 26, 2001 01:04 a.m.):

I was using bettween copper and plaster with about 1 inch of surface area on all sides

I used magnum steel (like JB Weld) says waterproof but started to dissolve after an hour and sprung a leak.

DE (May 26, 2001 12:41 p.m.):

I used magnum steel (like JB Weld) says waterproof but started to dissolve after an hour and sprung a leak.

you let it cure for the time they tell you to? Drying and curing are two different things.

dunno260 (May 26, 2001 06:18 p.m.):
DE (May 26, 2001 12:41 p.m.):

you let it cure for the time they tell you to? Drying and curing are two different things.

No $hit. Seems like anytime someone's got a problem with a product, someone else has gotta add the "read the directions" advice. Three days to dry in warm dry weather. Could be a bad batch, I don't know.

easy up... he's just trying to help.

i used pratley steel-set epoxy to bond copper to copper to make a waterblock out of sheet copper, and it's fine after a few months. cost $5, and performs better than my $25 tidal pool.. go figure. ;-)

Whoa... I come in peace!

Sounds like JB weld should do the job okay. I'm not using it to hold the cap to the base, I'm using it to seal them together.

I try jb weld 2 time and some gun epoxy on my 3rd try all had about 72 hours to dry in the sun

the gun epoxy held the longest wich was a day in a half before the whole weld came undone and jb weld held for about 7 hours before I noticed a leak

I even try to metals aluminum and brass both didnt like the glue

the jb weld was just bought so its highly unlikely its a bad batch=[
I just bought a dd maze2 so I wont need to worry about the project anymore
I would rather spend the extra money thin to have a waterblock come apart on my new computer....

Did you roughen the copper before applying the epoxy? It really makes a difference... Just use 400 or coarser? sandpaper. It gives it much more surface area to adhear to and fills in the little grooves.

Back