• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is fishing line condictive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FleshEating Bob

I just got an idea to make an invisible case by suspending the parts from my ceiling with fishing line. Will fishing line conduct static electricity and fry my mobo/CPU/etc.? The room my comp is in is carpeted, by the way.

MEAT BAG

just make sure you dont hang it from the fan or you will get a dizzy computer :burn:

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
just make sure you dont hang it from the fan or you will get a dizzy computer

Not to mention trying to catch it to plug in your camera (for those tasty pics, hint hint).:D

BaldHeadedDork

Won't the cooling fans turn the "case" into a self-propelled...

Umm, uh, yeah. Make sure to take a lot of pictures when its done. :D

BHD

Ghost68

FunkDaMonkMan said:
yea its probably not conductive unless you used metallic fishing line or something.

yeah if fishing line were metal we wouldnt catch many fish seeing as when they found out they were hooked and started to run thy would get finely diced into little pieces :eek:

Digital Pimp

yeah fishing line would work well, but you must concider 3 important points.

1. use strong fishing line, no need for 5lb test, try at least ~20.

2. watch where you tie the line to, if it gets too warm... well i'll let you figure it out. ;) :eek:

3. also make sure you have support in your celing, dont just use thumb tacks to secure things (speaking from experience:D) nails are good, screws are better.

hope all goes well.

Digital

thef0x82

Other people have asked this, but I just have this image stuck in my head of a motherboard spinning around like one of those suspended planes. Hopefully case fans aren't going to be that strong, but wouldn't say the PSU fan, HS fan or any other fan cause the computer to move? Motion is probably a bad thing when your talking about a computer suspended in the air.

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
You may want to try tying the fishing line to a small washer then fixing the washer to the ceiling with a drywall screw. That will be strong enough to hold all the weight you need to suspend.

Morbid

Nitpicker
Also.. you might want to get a few, umm.. bricks or something to tie lines coming from the ground. You'd get a more stable "computer" and the fans wouldn't be pushing it around. I don't know.. something to think about... if you do it, lots of pics! :D

OP
F

FleshEating Bob

I don't have a digital camera yet(key word there is yet), but as soon as I get my hands on one, you'll se pics. I'm not gonna use my main rig(I'll gut an old K6-2 Compaq), because it wouldn't be good when, inevitably, my idiot little sister comes running into my room and grabs the mobo to see what it feels like, frying it with static electricity!

john240sx

if you use fishing line any fisherman will tell you that the line will dry rot. it will last about 2 years, then you should replace it. i have several reels that need to be respooled because the line dry rotted (it sucks when you lose a killer lure and a 8 pound large mouth, would suck even more if you lost a complete computer)

btw, there IS metal line. it's not practical for fresh water but required for any deep sea fishing ;)

i would use atleast 20 pound test, i would prefer to use higher test though. maybe 40 pound even.

good luck and post those pics!! i can't wait to see how it turns out. :D