• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is it a duron of 800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tylerpreston

Disabled
Im thinking about building a new computer. Im about to get a duron 800 with an asus a7v, 300w power supply, and all that other chunky stuff. What i wanna know is if this cpu will overclock without too many problems. I heard that certain ones have problems. any info would be appreciated.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Not 100% sure on the duron...but that system will barely function as an email and web machine its so old.

satrow

I ran a Duron with the FSB bumped to give 1 Ghz for ~5 years, the next owner used it the same for another 2+.

Agree that it's going to be a big struggle with modern software and usage, it'll be very frustrating.

Mr.Scott

Beamed Me Up!
Is the Duron a mobile? If it's not you won't get very much overclock on that board. Via chipsets have no PCI lock, thus drastically reducing the amount of FSB you have to work with.

Bill Dimwit

Disabled
For a second there I thought EarthDog necro posted. Wahts going on here :sly:

I'm going to assume OP is putting together a retro gaming system or something? You will want a a board with an ISA slot for that.

OptyTrooper

Druons are quite overclockable but to expand on what Mr.Scott said Via is no good. You need an NF2 chipset. Abit NF7/NF7-S ver.2.0 preferably. The AN7 can also work well but are hit or miss sometimes.