• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it about time for me to move to the next "best thing"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thedarkdad3

Registered
Getting to the point where I am unsure if my CPU can sustain what I do daily. e.g. video editing/photo editing,gaming,running multiple vms

i've been juggling the idea of getting rig of some parts and moving to a newer playtform.

*Display Acer 32inch 4K, 3840x2160 //4K/IPS/*G-Sync*
*Storage 1 OS/Samsung EVO 1TB m.2*
*Storage 2*=x1 SSD Corsair Force Series, 960GB
*Storage 3*=x2**Seagate 3TB IronWolf NAS SATA 6Gb/s NCQ 64MB
*GPU* x1= nVidia GTX 1080i Founders Edition*
*CPU*=Intel Core i7 5820k Overclocked @4.4ghZ/H320 X2 Prestige*
*MB*=MSI X99A GodLike Gaming Carbon LGA 2011-v3
*RAM*=Crucial Ballistix\64GB\DDR4 2200mhz*
*PSU*=eVGa #850G BQ, 80+ GOLD 850W,Modular*
*CASE*= Enthoo Luxe Full Tower Chassis(WHITE)*
*NZXT Hue+ Lighting Kit*

What makes you think you "are getting to the point where my CPU can't sustain what I do daily"? That is a very high end system and certainly not particularly dated. I don't think there is anything out yet that will give you enough better performance to justify the expense of a new motherboard and CPU. The rest of the stuff in your system is latest technology.

I agree with trents. That's a seriously high end rig you have there, and not lacking anywhere significantly enough to justify the cost of a mobo/CPU that might pick up a little speed (very little in most cases) in some scenarios. Then again, if you just have the itch, Intel has all sorts of HEDT chips out at the moment and there is always AMD's Threadripper. Nice case, BTW. :D

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but you're just looking to go from two 1080's to a single 1080 ti with a larger monitor?

You look like you have a pretty banging system , I would hold off my self for somthing with real gains . If you do alot of CPU based encoding then TR might be good for you . But if it is 80% gaming 20% encoding then wait .

Ok so from the looks of it your only upgrading 3 components (moving 1 SSD around)

So getting a new HDD, much larger one (1TB to 3TB spinner)
New GPU 1080 -> 1080ti
And a new PSU.

New

Old
*Storage 2*=x1 WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
*Storage 3*=x1 SSD Corsair Force Series, 960GB
*GPU* x2= nVidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition
*CPU*=Intel Core i7 5820k Overclocked @4.4ghZ/H320 X2 Prestige
*PSU*=eVGa #750 BQ, 80+ BRONZE 750W,Modular

That being said... I can see the HDD and GPU upgrade no problem there. The PSU though, is it really old? No other reason to upgrade it unless its a really old PSU or if trying to get more into your normal power envelope for a better efficiency rating. Otherwise nice rig.

Yeah it's TI

Ok so from the looks of it your only upgrading 3 components (moving 1 SSD around)

So getting a new HDD, much larger one (1TB to 3TB spinner)
New GPU 1080 -> 1080ti
And a new PSU.

New

Old
*Storage 2*=x1 WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
*Storage 3*=x1 SSD Corsair Force Series, 960GB
*GPU* x2= nVidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition
*CPU*=Intel Core i7 5820k Overclocked @4.4ghZ/H320 X2 Prestige
*PSU*=eVGa #750 BQ, 80+ BRONZE 750W,Modular

That being said... I can see the HDD and GPU upgrade no problem there. The PSU though, is it really old? No other reason to upgrade it unless its a really old PSU or if trying to get more into your normal power envelope for a better efficiency rating. Otherwise nice rig.

Back