• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it good to overclock laptops??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tomic888

i have acer aspire 8930.
specs are:
Intel core 2 duo t9400 2.5 ghz
Nvidia geforce 9700m 1791 mb
4gb DDR3-1066 SDRAM

i will buy some extra cooling for it, so i thought about overclocking cpu, not extreme, but what about the temp?

I would follow the same general guidelines you would if you were overclocking a desktop. Coretemp should work on there, and just make sure you stay 20C or more away from your TjMax. You will probably hit that a lot quicker of course using laptop cooling.

I wouldnt. Even a nice fan system that goes under the laptop wont help as much as needed.

Not to mention, the bios likely has no overclocking features (FSB/votlage adjustments) and it could only be done with SetFSB or Clockgen. And then you would have to find the right PLL for that laptop inorder for it to work.

Get something else to overclock.

yeah, i think too that laptop overclocking isnt good, thanks for help guys

Technically speaking overclocking in general is not a great idea as it can have many side effects. most of us are addicted to it and do it anyways. this is as much a support group for the addiction except we want help on how to do it better, not how to stop.

And overclocking standard notebooks is never a good idea. they make laptops with extra special cooking for us overclockers though.

The fact that OC produces more heat, and laptops have limited venting options, it's a give or take depending on how high you want to OC, and the efficiency of the cooling system in your laptop. As others have said, I wouldn't OC a laptop though.

Really depends on the laptop.
If it has a 25w CPU and is a model that can take a 35w CPU, then sure, OC away! You have a margin. If however you already have a 35w cpu and are running in the 80s anyway, OCing isn't a very good idea.

Doesn't an OC only affect the heat based on an increase in voltage? Since Laptops don't allow you to modify anything in the BIOS to this affect would it really matter?

Besides I can't see a laptop getting anything more than a few Megahertz out of a stock OC?

You would be sorely mistaken Nechen, especially on the latter... ;)

Yes it voltage taht raises temps more than clockspeed, but the clocks still add more heat if you dont raise the voltage.

Hi, my name is Hipcrostino and I'm and Overclocker.

Its been 2 months since my last overclock.....

:D

ROFL... :salute:

not sure how much gain your looking for .. but i wouldnt take it to high .. def would take ot apart and apply some good thermal paste and clean the thing for built up dust .. maybe look for a better fan online and def keep a good look at your temps .. even with all that your not gonna get much but i guess you can say its as good as anything else as long as you pay close attention

Back