• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is it just me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veryhumid

or do you guys find yourselves putting off mods and gaming just to fold? I have a couple parts I want to put in, like a new NB cooler but I keep thinking "but then I won't be folding for an hour..." haha. And I don't game as much but I blame that on a full time job ;) Getting points becomes so addicting!

stan03

Its just you :p, i still play games, but i do leave my computer running 24/7 now when before i would turn it off after every use.

OP
V

veryhumid

I still get a hour or so every day of CS, but running 2 instances of folding and playing cs has caused problems in the past so while I play I only run one core. That's probably why I don't play as much.

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
I game my a$$ off. I'm always tinkering around with my rigz. Just a few days ago I hooked up a Vantec Iceberg on the NB and a sinked the SB on my new AN7. Took about 20 minutes total time.

Like Tebore just mentioned, even tho i work on 1 machine, my dualie and 3rd rig will back me. Then after I do what I have to do, I let them Fold 24/7 full bore to make up for lost time :D

FizzledFiend

well I have curbed some things.. Like i don't shut off unless i very must have too...I am after Stan03 (thanks for the big pointing finger!) so I can't afford to waste a second!

Last edited:

matrixzen

It's not just you. I absolutely hate the downtime when installing a new CPU waterblock that mounts onto the motherboard. It's either folding or I'm to lazy to take the computer apart that hinders me. It's even worse when I have to take my router or modem down because all my computer won't be able to send/receive work.

stan03

FizzledFiend said:
well I have curbed some things.. Like i don't shut off unless i very must have too...I am after Ston03 so I can't afford to waste a second!

whose ston :confused:

:D

veryhumid what problems do you have? i have no problems running two and playing cs at the same time.

walaka7

These guys who are saying they game as before and shut down like before are in denial. We are all addicted or we wouldnt have bothered posting :p As far as myself, I "pool" my tasks so I only have to shut down once. So Ill couple setting up a RAID, with system cleaning, and replacing fans, along with whatever updates come up, and shut down one time. Like last time i shut down my renderer/folder dual, I cleaned the heatsinks, sanotized the wiring, and added Raid. But before shutting down, i went to MS and downloaded all the updates. One shut down, and total shut down time was 5 minutes :D Folding is a good way to maintain peak efficiency whilst shutting down for repairs and updates :D

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
Join the FAH 12 step program LOL. I have some mods and peripherals in dusty boxes to install in my Xeon duallie but I won't until everything is ready so I can do it all at the same time. I also work 10hrs/6 days a week and I don't have much energy left over on my one day off. Don't need much energy to surf and post on the forums ;)

Karbon

I play games pretty much all day, unless i have a WU that will finish
before 1am. (EOC stats are based off central time, i always try to get
as much PPD as possible so I will watch tv or do something different
so i can finish them). Sadly, folding has taken over my life and
having fun is 2nd to getting as much points as possible :p

Last night I skipped a cs match so i could finish 2 239 point tinkers in time :)

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
I never worry about PPDs. They average out in the long run. I try to keep my PPW maxed and steady. It's like running a marathon vs sprinting.

wizard james

well i cant play games.. crapy computer.. and on my new rig i dont got windows xp yet..

and i am having troble with linux runing folding.. cant tell if its folding lol...

OP
V

veryhumid

stan03 said:
veryhumid what problems do you have? i have no problems running two and playing cs at the same time.

Oh I got a reboot sometimes at high fsb, but I haven't had high fsb for a while. Hopefully memory just doesn't like it's rated speed and faster memory will make everything better. I'll crank it up when I have new memory. Staying down at 235 right now.

OP
V

veryhumid

good tips about pooling work into one shut down. I just need to get more comps going so I don't notice the point loss. This computer is my main folder. My sister is using a 933 P3 and that's all I have right now.