• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it normal for case temps to be the same as room temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dicecca112

depends what that temp is. And post yours system specs, because if the temps are high, then thats what people will need.

OP
Waachback

Waachback

Room temp is 34 C case temp is 35-36C at load. This is a xp-m 2500+ overclocked to 2.35ghz at 1.7v on a abit nf7-s motherboard.

Radical

Case temps should ideally be as close to the room temp as possible. If your case temp is close to the room temp, your case has good airflow.

austinbmxnig

on my a7n8x-e deluxe it is showing that my case temp is 20C = 68F....my thermostat is set at 74....its is possible that the air could lose heat and become cooler? i ususally have my ceiling fan on high. it seems odd that my case temp is actually lower than room temp

Guderian

my case temp is 20C = 68F....my thermostat is set at 74....its is possible that the air could lose heat and become cooler?

short answer: No

Long answer: Hell no.... assuming your ac thermostat is accurate (and 100% heat transfer from cpu to case to room), the lowest your case temp could be is ambient.... and since 100% effectiveness is not possible, that can't happen. of course when room temp superconductors are cheap safe and available, that might just change... hehe.

a ceiling fan will move air around, but it doesnt actually lower temps. sounds like your case sensor is off by a bit....

Room temp is 34 C

(34C*1.8)+32= 93.2F ROOM TEMP?!?!?!

Last edited:
OP
Waachback

Waachback

Yep, I live in Hawaii. Its summer, and on a hot day, my room gets to about 35C. At night it drops to about 32C. Im not lying. I could take a pic of my temp if you want.

Goldstandard

Well, what might be happening is that the AC vent is nearly if not directly above your computer. That is the case in my room and when the ac is on the cool air drops in a column to the floor, since cool air sinks. Since the air coming out of ac is often a hell of a lot cooler than the rest of the room it could account for the lower temps compared to ambient if it gets sucked into the case before it spreads out to the rest of the room and warms up. I noticed a 3 to 4 drop in case temps once when my ac kicked in. I would hook that vent up to my computer if I wasn't still living with my parents, they'd have a fit. :-/