• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it OK to open TCP, UDP Ports 1024-65535 and can it be fowarded to more than 1 ppl?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cytomax

Is it OK to open TCP, UDP Ports 1024-65535 and can it be fowarded to more than 1 ppl?

Hello all i had internet problems with a game yesterday and my friend told me to not have any problems all you have to do is open ALL the TCP and UDP ports from 1024 to 65535. He also said that i can open them for all the computers on my network so they dont have problems on the internet. I always thought you can open a specific port per computer... but he said you can open a specific port for more than 1 computer is this possible and or safe?
Thanks in Advance
Eddie

Disputant

What game? Usually, you can pin it down to only opening a few ports rather than everything. At least that is the case with most of my games.

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
I also thought that routers would only allow you to forward a port (or range of ports) to only one IP. I'd need somebody more knowladgeble before I say for certian otherwise though.

Opening your ports like that is stupid though, even if it is possible. While not as bad as running NO firewall (since most worms and attacks will come on ports <1024), it's still bad practice to open up ports that you don't need to. Try to find out what ports the specific game uses, and open only those instead.

JigPu

OP
C

Cytomax

thanks for the replies guys i forgot to mention that i have an 8 port linksys befsr81 and it is pretty customizable... my friend said that windows only uses ports less than 1024 so that is why supposedly it is safe... but i was really in doubt to be honest .... i know what ports need to be opened the problem is i have 2 computers... so i would have to foward them to both computers which leads me back to my second question can you foward a port to more than 1 computer...
Thanks in Advance
Eddie

OP
C

Cytomax

Thanks for that link i guess ill show it to my friend... well i guess the next logical question is by just having a port open does that mean anyone can easily hack me through that port and install those virii or trojan...
Thanks in Advance
Eddie

Disputant

Not necessarily, but the thing to remember is that new exploits come out every day along with newer and nastier versions of viruses. So what they can’t do today, they may be able to tomorrow. This is why I keep mine locked down to the point that they are stealth or as invisible online as I can get them.

Never hurts to run some of the online security checks to see your port status like www.grc.com.