• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it okay to run a Open Case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JAWS

I have been working on my computer for the last couple
of days and have left the cover off. Is this okay? Do
I have to be worried about killing my internal components?

That's perfectly fine, just make sure it stays really cool...sometimes with overclocking leaving a case open is WORSE then closing it b/c the fans are not directly blowing air where they should be, depending on where the fans are...correct if I am wrong people?

I did a good mod to my case. I installed a wall vent that is 7x10 inches in the side of my case that people normaly use for A/C ducts at home. I put some generic filter matieral so no yucky stuff gets inside and it lets all the air I will ever need to enter my case. It looks pretty good too, but I am more about fuctionality than anything else. I wish I has a pic to show you guys of this but it is a good mod.

Ok, I found a picture but the one I installed does not have the open/close lever that the pic one has. they are cheap, like $3.00USD

is it ok to run a what?
what is this open case you talk of... i dont understand what this case thing is.....
I thought you were supposed to use only a metal frame for your computer.....
just make sure you keep the goodies dust free

Do not stick your fingers in the fans and you will be like the rest of us. I think the cover for one of mine is still out in the garage. One of the others is being used as a nightstand.

brianm (Jul 22, 2001 01:54 p.m.):
That's perfectly fine, just make sure it stays really cool...sometimes with overclocking leaving a case open is WORSE then closing it b/c the fans are not directly blowing air where they should be, depending on where the fans are...correct if I am wrong people?

Yes and no. It depends on your setup. The usual test to see if you have enough fans is to take the cover of and see what happens to your temps. If they drop you could use more fans. If they go up, you have an awesome ducting/cooling thing going.

Cool, Thanks for the replies! I know what you mean, after
two days my case has become my new bookshelf.

On my systems I also have a small desk fan b;owing in to ,ove rhe HOT air around, away from the HSF.

It does help !!

When I shut the desk fan off I watch my temps go up. I use CompuNurse to watch temps.

Quick fact, it is against FCC rules to run a computer with the case off.

Man I hope they do not find us they could make millions in fines. jj

dude (Jul 22, 2001 08:44 p.m.):
Quick fact, it is against FCC rules to run a computer with the case off.

Man I hope they do not find us they could make millions in fines. jj

LMAO !!

*quickly mounts side panel...who ME?? With an open what??**

That would be my luck...sober five years, and I still get busted with an "open container".... LOL

Mr B

Our buddy had a point here...it is against FCC rules. After all, if you have a pet roaming around or you have one hell of a foot spasm and your foot (or your pet) goes flying into your case and get's zapped by your power supply you probably feel well or you might not feel anything at all b/c you will be dead. Just a scenario...lmao!

A good vacuum? Hum...not sure about that one unless you are really interested in the effects of ESD! You know, a little bit of static running through all your important (excuse me, vital) boards and IC?!? Maybe a better idea would be to take some Kleenex and mist it with some anti-static spray (the stuff for carpets) and wipe it off would probably work better. After all, I've never killed my computer that way, but I have sticking a vacuum in it...
Phobos (Jul 22, 2001 02:33 p.m.):
just give your internal components a little bit of a vacuum a few times a week to keep the dust down

brianm (Jul 22, 2001 09:50 p.m.):
A good vacuum? Hum...not sure about that one unless you are really interested in the effects of ESD! You know, a little bit of static running through all your important (excuse me, vital) boards and IC?!? Maybe a better idea would be to take some Kleenex and mist it with some anti-static spray (the stuff for carpets) and wipe it off would probably work better. After all, I've never killed my computer that way, but I have sticking a vacuum in it...
just give your internal components a little bit of a vacuum a few times a week to keep the dust down

Actually I just leave a grounded wire touching my case and sometimes leave my psu pluged in.. that discrages most, if not all of the static.. good enough for me anyways, never lost a puter yet.

-Trek

Good, making sure you got your head on!! lol!
Treker (Jul 22, 2001 10:08 p.m.):
brianm (Jul 22, 2001 09:50 p.m.):

Actually I just leave a grounded wire touching my case and sometimes leave my psu pluged in.. that discrages most, if not all of the static.. good enough for me anyways, never lost a puter yet.

-Trek

Back