• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it possible to cool a cpu from the front and back

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kilroy776

Registered
Im hoping this is the place to post this , excuse my ignorance if not:)
Im trying to figure out if its a possibility to use my corsair h60 sealed water cooler on the cpu side and cool it from the back using another method ...hoping for some suggestions here but not sure if maybe someone has already tried and failed as I could not locate any info online or here....maybe a cooled pad thats not conductive other than heat ?? plz any suggestions would help....ty:confused:.....btw: I will be building my own steampunk style case so fitting it in would not be a major issue as i can make the space i need as i go

With Intel cpus, the socket doesn't really get hot. There isn't a point to cool the back of the motherboard. You will run out of thermal headroom 'on the front' before cooling on the back will help.

Im running an amd a10 ....any suggestions...water cooling the frontside does not seem like enough ..im still reaching temps of 70 + at 4.3 ghz.....or is this about right ...im new to pc building sry for and dumb questions :)

Sorry.. assumed Intel for some reason!

That said, you have an APU, not their octo core FX line. On your cpu, that really isn't needed either.

How about list your hardware, cpu, ram, mobo, psu, case, airflow, cpu heatsink, ambient temps, cpu voltage, etc.. it's impossible to know what your temps 'should' be without knowing, well, something. ;)

Last edited:
Processor a 4.10 gigahertz AMD A10-6800K APU with Radeon HD Graphics
192 kilobyte primary memory cache
4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Hyper-threaded (4 total)
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
corsair h60 sealed water cooler with single fan rad
550 w power supply ..i know its not enough ...recent temp replacement
my temp at idle under no load really to speak of are about 45 c....under load ie playing bf4 on very high settings sends it up quickly to about 79c ambient temp in room is about 21 c
im looking atm at my core voltages on cpuid and they seem all over the place but max says
cores are 55.55 w on the max area if that means any thing to you or helps ....sry very new to pc building but very eager to learn

Last edited:
What GPU do you have? Your 550W PSU, assuming it is a good brand (what brand and model please), should be enough for most systems... :)

Thanks JLK for posting that image (run out of thanks, LOL!). If you want core temps to drop, think about putting another fan on that radiator for a push pull combo.

That said, something isn't right there with those temps for whatever reason.

What case? How many fans and how are they blowing in the case? It should be front/sides = intake, top/rear = exhaust.

my fans are very insufficent but im currently running it with the case off ....the ram also btw has a gskill cooler on it aswell.....its a gtx 750 ti 4gb video card.......ad the power supply, well lets just say you wont find it on google easily....mustiff dual 550w....i know its not prob near good enough ""side note i was running dual psu with second jumped for powering my gpu and ssd ,, it didnt like that much ,blew bearings in 2 weeks"" hope this helps more and yeah the temps never seem stable either ...ive set the fans all to 100 percent so the pump from the corsair and fan on the rad run full time ...pump is about 2500 rpm usually rad fan about 1600 rpm but this only seemed to slightly help......am i just expecting too much for what i have ???ty for the replys btw guys ...love friendly communities :)

I agree it looks a little hot, could need a remount of the heatsink on the APU. Was a proper amount is thermal paste used? Too little is bad, too much is worse.

Kilroy, what motherboard make & model too. You might be helped by adding cooling to the VRM next to the APU socket, like in the 2nd picture (depending on case cooling).

Yes, we have lots of questions. :)

just asking an opinion ....im purchasing a 750 w psu next week i was toying with the idea of running two h60,s on on front and one positioned onto some type of not electrically conductive but thermally conductive style tape...epoxy ???do you think it would work to drop the psu loads and could you give any suggestions for a non conductive pad for the heat sink of the h60 to sit on???

I used the grain of rice method on the apllication of the h60 block

Hewlett-Packard 500-239
System Serial Number: MXX4060M1X
Asset Tag: MXX4060M1X
Enclosure Type: Desktop
MS-7778 (JasmineR)
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Hyper-threaded (4 total)
Main Circuit Board b Board: 2AE0 1.0
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
UEFI: AMI 80.46 10/03/2013

Manufacturer: MSI
Form factor: uATX: 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.4 cm (9.6 inches)
Chipset: AMD A75 FCH
Memory sockets: 4 x DDR3
Front side bus speeds: 4 lanes, 5 GT/s per lane
Processor socket: FM2
Expansion Slots:

1 PCI Express x16 (Gen2.0)
3 PCI Express x1 (Gen2.0)
1 half-length mini card

just asking an opinion ....im purchasing a 750 w psu next week i was toying with the idea of running two h60,s on on front and one positioned onto some type of not electrically conductive but thermally conductive style tape...epoxy ???do you think it would work to drop the psu loads and could you give any suggestions for a non conductive pad for the heat sink of the h60 to sit on???

I had often thought of the idea to use a low wattage TEC and a small heat sink. Nothing big wattage because of fire hazards. Some thermal tape and custom mounting through the motherboard to mount a liquid cooler on top of the CPU and the TEC with a heat sink on the back.

Though it would be a somewhat interesting project, it's never come to light yet.... but someday just for grins maybe.

I figure if it did a 10c drop in Cpu Socket temps, it would be a good thing. Never know till you try it.

What are you using to measure the APU temps. The only thing I know that's reliable is AMD OD. Also the H60 is not much if any better than an air cooler. it's a HP prebuilt and likely doesn't have much airflow through the case plus it's a micro ATX. It's going to run warm. Check the temps with AMD overdrive. It'll give you a delta or distance to max temp not an actual temp reading. If there's a place to add another fan to the case I would do that too.

I don't see any mention of a fan on the vrm to replace the cooling airflow over that area.

I don't see any mention of a fan on the vrm to replace the cooling airflow over that area.

I never thought of cooling the vrm before Im guessing that could also make higher heats all over without the old cpu style fan blowing on it now??ive seen a couple of pics of people using zip ties to secure fans to them but ill have to see if i can find something more sturdy looking for the build im trying to eventually put together....just want to get what i have going as well as possible and then transfer it into the case im building for it.....updated...My gtx cards fans blow directly down on my vrm ...im thinking its why im not seeing heat issues anywhere other than cpu currently

Last edited:
What are you using to measure the APU temps. The only thing I know that's reliable is AMD OD. Also the H60 is not much if any better than an air cooler. it's a HP prebuilt and likely doesn't have much airflow through the case plus it's a micro ATX. It's going to run warm. Check the temps with AMD overdrive. It'll give you a delta or distance to max temp not an actual temp reading. If there's a place to add another fan to the case I would do that too.
yes I think my first mistake in a series of mistakes is im very under ventilated ,nevertheless i really want to try to sandwich the cpu between two cooler blocks idea too...I do like to push my system with games so gotta have a way to cool it down but with as little risk as possible ie..leaks from cooling or improper setup period....

What GPU do you have? Your 550W PSU, assuming it is a good brand (what brand and model please), should be enough for most systems... :)

Thanks JLK for posting that image (run out of thanks, LOL!). If you want core temps to drop, think about putting another fan on that radiator for a push pull combo.

That said, something isn't right there with those temps for whatever reason.

What case? How many fans and how are they blowing in the case? It should be front/sides = intake, top/rear = exhaust.

ive ordered another corsair fan for the push pull configuration .....and a second h60 to cool it from the back im hoping the single fan willl be enough there already over budget lol

You ordered a second H60 (we are talking a corsair AIO, right)? just to cool the back?? That is a monumental waste of cash!!! Just put a fan on it like Shrimp did.. save your self some money... also, how are you going to mount the pump to the back of the board without shorting anything? Also, do you have a case with enough room to mount that thing between the back of the mobo and the case panel?

I just don't see this as a good idea... at least how I am picturing this in my head!!

You ordered a second H60 (we are talking a corsair AIO, right)? just to cool the back?? That is a monumental waste of cash!!! Just put a fan on it like Shrimp did.. save your self some money... also, how are you going to mount the pump to the back of the board without shorting anything? Also, do you have a case with enough room to mount that thing between the back of the mobo and the case panel?

I just don't see this as a good idea... at least how I am picturing this in my head!!

Like i said in the beginning Earthdog im a newbie to this world :) ok so first thing ..I have a second pc fx 8550 with a angelica board its also hp ...If i didnt find the cooler block worked for what i wanted i was going to use it on it if not so Ill let the order proceed I think ...I was happy with it over the hyper evo iI had before it ..It dropped it from idle temps of about 55c to 45c ...I know this is still high though or at least I think it is...as for the space im currently building my own case as iI have access to alot of metal bending equipment ect at my job so room will not be an issue im building it as something decorative and am giving ample space to work in and breat i hope .....with the right fans setup....back to my original question though im really only trying to figure a way to mount the pump block of the h60 to the back of the board without arcing things out ....sorry may seem slightly retarted but i just wanted to know if it was possible ...again was hoping there would be a thermally conductive pad or tape that i could use that was non-conductive to mount it to but im guessing from your answer :) its prob just a waste of time ......ty just the same for all your input :) it is truly appreciated either way

64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Hyper-threaded (4 total)
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
corsair h60 sealed water cooler with single fan rad
550 w power supply ..i know its not enough ...recent temp replacement
my temp at idle under no load really to speak of are about 45 c....under load ie playing bf4 on very high settings sends it up quickly to about 79c ambient temp in room is about 21 c
im looking atm at my core voltages on cpuid and they seem all over the place but max says
cores are 55.55 w on the max area if that means any thing to you or helps ....sry very new to pc building but very eager to learn

My InWIn GRone Case came with a mounting spot to mount a 120mm or 140mm fan to the back panel and have it blowing on the backside of the motherboard right where the CPU and VRM is located.

Back