• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it possible to share my connection cross street to my mon's home by wireless ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BioS

Is it possible to share my connection cross street to my mon's home by wireless ?

I'm trying to run my cable connection cross street bout 100 to 150 feet to my mon's hours. She running a Amd 1ghz with on board Network card.

Now, is that possible to share that far cross street?

What's of Wireless device i need to buy for this setup?

What about the secure setup to prevent any of my neighbor can hoop up my connection while this sharing?

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
Re: Is it possible to share my connection cross street to my mon's home by wireless ?

BioS said:
I'm trying to run my cable connection cross street bout 100 to 150 feet to my mon's hours. She running a Amd 1ghz with on board Network card.

Now, is that possible to share that far cross street?

What's of Wireless device i need to buy for this setup?

What about the secure setup to prevent any of my neighbor can hoop up my connection while this sharing?

check out this thread and look at the post from Mark620. he uses a wap to access a building that is like 100-150 feet away... another guy ran some normal phoneline under the street thru a culvert and used a phone line network. it wasn't connected to the phone company's stuff, but he just ran all his own phone line...

these days, more and more waps tend to have setup programs that will only allow certain devices with certain mac addresses to access the wap

Mark620

In this case for the security, I would go this route:

It is "relatively" easy. I have not bridged a road just an open distance...

You will need 2ea. WAP11, 1ea. DSL/Cable Router(I assume you have this), 1ea. Ethernet Hub (or lan card for single connection).

ONE PROBLEM...Your WAP11's need to be above the traffic level and put them infront of a window(less stuff to transmit thru) and you may want to use a directional antena.

also check this thread:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showt...threadid=194287
They know more than I do....

ROUTER-WAP11~~~~~street~~~~~~WAP11-HUB(or maybe just a wireless networking lan card - modify instructions below)

When set to "Access Point Client", "Wireless Bridge" or "Wireless Bridge - Point to MultiPoint" mode, the device will only communicate with another WAP 11 ver. 2.2 or WAP 11.

0001.Use "Wireless Bridge" connection
0010.Turn on the wep key setting on both WAP11's and use 256 bit encription.
0011.Filter the MAC addresses so both WAP11's will only accept the other MAC.
0100.Turn SSID brodcast to off.

[Shameless Plug]

The Linksys WAP11: The Instant Wireless Access Point’s high-powered antenna offers a range of operation of up to 1640 feet, providing seamless roaming throughout your wireless LAN infrastructure; an advanced user authentication feature ensures a high level of network security.

[/Shameless Plug]

Regards
Mark

Edit: To make more clear...its clear as mud :D

Last edited: