• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it possible to upgrade my laptops CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oddjob

Hi I have an HP Pavilion g6 laptop. My processor is AMD A4-3320M. It is 2.0 GHz but I would like to upgrade. Is this possible with my laptop? Or do I need to post more specs?

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
In general its not really possible to upgrade laptops. Most use a BGA(soldered) cpu socket instead of a PGA(pin grid array) or LGA(landing grid array) configuration. The ones that do use PGA/LGA sockets dont all support replacing the CPU due to bios limitaitons. I have opened up a hand full of HP laptops and in general Id have to say its not very likely.

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
I have upgraded several Intel mobile CPUs in HP/Compaq notebooks. But I've seen a very limited supply of options for current generation AMD mobile CPUs. They are hard to find and overly expensive when you do find them.

As ssjwizard said, it is also possible you have a BGA processor which is soldered to the motherboard. First step for you is to download the service manual & read it. See if there are CPU replacement instructions. If so you probably have a PGA CPU.