• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is it the heat do ya think?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nforcer

ok here is my rig:

p4 2.26 (1.7v)
abit it7
samsung 2700 2 sticks of 512mb (2.9v)
maxtor 30gig
geforce 2mx ( i know im changing it soon)
mr natural 8Z bios
ram running at 2.5,6,3,3

so here is my question - i currently have my system running at 2.55g with a fsb of 150 and im using a 3/4 divider so my ram is running at ddr400 (200mhz)

ok so i can get into windows and run pcmark and sandra and stuff but it will randomly reboot for no reason

but since i can get into windows and run benchmarks and stuff im wondering if it its heat that will make it reboot?

like right now my temp is 45.5C at idle and my case is 31C at idle

full load it will go up to 55 or so maybe - could get higher but i havent watched it super closely for a long period of time yet.

do you think its the heat? because if it is a heat issue then i have no probs getting some 120mm fans to replace my 80mm to up the air flow!! (its an antec 1080pure case)

any suggestions - comments??

anybody?

That is pretty hot considering the ambient temp, 14C increase. The bigger fans are great, but the case temp isn't bad this time of year.

What are you using for a HSF? If it is a stock or crappy HSF, get a Thermalright AX-478 w/ a 50CFM-80MM fan. Those babies are the best. It is the same as the AX-7, but for Intel chips.

see im a little ****ed

ive got an alpha 8942 with a sunon 40cfm 80mm on top for now

i lapped the sink to a mirror finish as well.

i dunno

now im at the point of either getting out the cutter and dremmel and putting in a bunch of fans (quiet though) or getting a water kit

not sure........

any suggestions? also is my ram volted to high at 2.9v ? it registers at 2.85v in the bios / mbm

Those temps look fine. The IT7 reads the temps high.
My 2.0a @2.5 (1.58v actual) idles at 46 and load at 55. Ambient is about 23. This is with a Swiftech MCX478 and 68CFM Alpha (running at 9 volts)

do you think its the heat? because if it is a heat issue then i have no probs getting some 120mm fans to replace my 80mm to up the air flow!! (its an antec 1080pure case)

Don't think it is heat.

Try changing the Cas timing for the memory. Mine would do the same thing until I found the right timing.

Set it at 2.7v CL2.5-3-6-3 and now can run Prime95 for hours. Any lower and Prime95 torture test would give an error after a few minutes.

yeah, go to the most docile ram timings you can. then test it. change one setting, then test it. thats what i did and i'm at 2.5-2-5-2-2. the CAS latency and the cmd are the most probable culprits.

Back