• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it time for a new PSU? Recommendations?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dark_15

Drunken Master JNCIE Senior
Hey Every1,
I was looking at my asus Probe software at my temperatures and I noticed my +5 rail was at 4.811 (it drops to 4.7 at times when the processor is @ full load), +12 was 12.4, +3.3 at 3.36, and vcore @ 1.696. I know this isn't the most accurate way to measure rails, but i have noticed I do get random reboots when the processor is at full load for a while.

I am using the generic PSU I got with my case by the way...
Do you think I should get a new PSU? And if so, which one?

Here's my specs
Asus A7N8x-Deluxe
Athlon XP 2500+ @ 2.2 GHZ (200x11)
1 GB RAM
Radeon 9600
Cd Burner
DVD ROM
Floppy
7 80mm fans
1 70 mm for Vantec Aeroflow
Fan controller (Super Flower)
1 CC light

I would like something that is fairly quiet so I can sleep at night and not hear it over my music... and something less than $100... lol

Thanks ladies and gents!

(And yesterday (7/15) was my b-day!)

Last edited:

Wwing49

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!! (4 hrs ago) Id offer advice but im a dumbass noob so i dont wanna screw u over. i actually got my own similar thread goin now

OP
dark_15

dark_15

Thx Wwing49... Good luck to you too!

Sixshot, doesn't that seem like an overkill a little? And does include a connection to a SATA device? I think I forgot to post that when I started the thread... but thanks for your help!

Hookem

If you do not like the 530watt Fortron/Sparlke...Then another great choice is the Antec TrueControl 550.

You can get one without the SATA connector at Directron for 99 bones plus shipping.

Either one is about as good as you are going to get in your price range with bang for the buck going to the Fortron/Sparkle.

Oklahoma Wolf

Senior Warranty Validity Sealed Stick Remover
My suggestions would be the Fortron 400w with 120mm fan and up, or Antec True 430 and up. The 530w Fortron is indeed overkill, but it's a very nice unit ;)

Just a note - your 5v readings will be significantly affected by the motherboard's vcore regulators, since IIRC that Asus board does run the CPU from the 5v as my board does. Don't be too alarmed if you get a new PSU in there and get similar readings - a voltmeter would give you a better picture what the PSU is up to. It's stability we're after here. You don't mention the make/model of the PSU you have, but it could easily be causing the reboots.

OP
dark_15

dark_15

Oklahoma Wolf said:
My suggestions would be the Fortron 400w with 120mm fan and up, or Antec True 430 and up. The 530w Fortron is indeed overkill, but it's a very nice unit ;)

Just a note - your 5v readings will be significantly affected by the motherboard's vcore regulators, since IIRC that Asus board does run the CPU from the 5v as my board does. Don't be too alarmed if you get a new PSU in there and get similar readings - a voltmeter would give you a better picture what the PSU is up to. It's stability we're after here. You don't mention the make/model of the PSU you have, but it could easily be causing the reboots.

Thx for the suggestion... I don't know what PSU it was... it was the 420 watt PSU that came with the Raidmax Case... but o well...

Where would I get a good voltmeter?

Oklahoma Wolf

Senior Warranty Validity Sealed Stick Remover
Radio Shack has some decent multimeters... will have other functions than just voltage measuring that may come in handy someday.

You likely have a Raidmax PSU - not that good, but not as bad as Deer. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the cause of the rebooting... even a Fortron 350w will outpower it easily.