• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is mini USB type-C the trend for new motherboards for front panels as well?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joshcahill027

I got a new Evolv X case which has a mini USB type-C connector on the front panel.

My modern Strix B550-F motherboard has a type-C connector at the back, but no support for the front panel type C. See pictures

I'm going to get an add-in board to plug the front panel USB type-C connector to as a solution

As USB type-C becomes more popular, are more motherboards coming standard with USB type-C support for the front panel?

Strix B550-F.png Phanteks Evolv X case.jpeg Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X (3).jpg mini USB type-C adapter.jpg

Plenty of B550 boards have a front panel USB Type-C header. There are some around that price point (~180 - MSI Tomahawk, ASRock Riptide...off the top of my head), but they are much more common on boards that cost a bit more.

My x570 Asus tuf pro had it as well, priced around $200 fwiw

Good point. Id guess, the performance (vs mainstream/B550) chipset would tend to have them more(?)... but OTOH, that chipset/boards were released in 2019 and type-c wasn't as common as it is today.

Back