• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is my 450w PSU enough for this hardware for now?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lautaro13

Registered
Hello OCF peep! how is it going? pleasant i hope.
I just wanted a second (and more specialized) opinion since im planning to upgrade one of my really old rigs which is a Dual Core E5400, 4gb ram, Biostar Motherboard, 1 hdd, one DVD writer, and finally a HD4850 (bottlenecked the sh*t out of it, i know, i have a low res screen tho, 1280x1024, still, i know the CPU bottlenecks the GPU, im not overclocking at all in this rig btw) to a little more actual one and give that one to my little brother (except for the GPU, ill give him a spare gt240 i have)

But i can only afford to buy a CPU, Mobo and RAM for now.
Im planning to get a Phenom II x4 850 (or 840, or Athlon II x4 645, or something like that, you get the point, cheap AMD Quad Cores, those phenoms are not even Phenoms, are just rebranded Athlons, but sadly thats all i can afford... anyway) a decent Mobo and 4gb.

The thing is i have an unknown brand 450w PSU (its actually a national brand) with two 12+ rails, 16A each which ill be recycling temporally til i can get a better PSU for this new rig.

so, my question -finally- is, will there be any problem using this PSU with the new rig for a few months til i can save to get a better PSU?

If it helps at all, this PSU surprisingly has more connection capabilities than i expected it to have (6 pin PCI, SATA, standard Molex, bla bla) and so far (almost 2 years) havent gotten any issues with the other rig when gaming, no sudden restarts, BSODs, or anything that could imply that the PSU is failing or being over demanded.
But i do know the CPUs have totally different power consumptions, the AMD im planning to get will OBVIOUSLY draw more power than the E5400.

if you must know for "PSU-Load" purposes, im not into heavy gaming, even tho i do like to every now and then (but i mostly drop em after installation... seriously), most of them are online games like Bad Company 2, MW3, Black Ops, MW2, Counter-Strike (and im planning on buying BF3 aswell)

So, basically, is it safe to asume that ill be fine for a few months with this PSU? any words of advice, warnings, or something else?
I dont really know that much about PSUs, so i really must ask you guys, who im sure know a lot more than i do bout this.

I dont really have that much money to spare after the bills, rent, food, and few other needs, so its really the best i can get for now (specially in my country where anything computer related is really expensive) and i dont really want to see it trashed, specially cause we do need this.

So yeah, sorry if i wrote too much :blah::blah::blah:

English its not my first language so i really tried to make it as solid and coherent as posible. lemme know how much do i suck at it btw :rain:

Thanks for reading, cheers!

You should be fine. I'd advise not to overclock anything until you get a better psu. The power draw from the Phenom, 4850, and the rest of your components should not exceed your current psu.

But let me be frank: get a better psu asap to future proof your upgrade :)

I cant think of a single national brand PSU. Used to be PCP&C but they were bought out by OCZ. Is there another? Does patriot make PSUs?

Oh national for the user. heh heh forgot about that.

Well as long as he aint in china thats okay :)Chinese electronics are generally the poop end of the totem pole despite all our TVs and consoles being made there (hmm yet pc gaming is dead?) lol

You should be fine. I'd advise not to overclock anything until you get a better psu. The power draw from the Phenom, 4850, and the rest of your components should not exceed your current psu.

But let me be frank: get a better psu asap to future proof your upgrade :)
Thanks for your words! i wont be overclocking at all til i get a new PSU which will be my next priority after the buy.

get a corsair cx500w... you should be fine with it, cheap and reliable
Thanks for your suggestion! i will try to get that one if i can then. i was going to save for an Antec, HCG-520 or bigger, what do you think of it?

I cant think of a single national brand PSU. Used to be PCP&C but they were bought out by OCZ. Is there another? Does patriot make PSUs?

Oh national for the user. heh heh forgot about that.

Well as long as he aint in china thats okay :)Chinese electronics are generally the poop end of the totem pole despite all our TVs and consoles being made there (hmm yet pc gaming is dead?) lol
Thank you for replying, its national to me (Argentina) and its quite "big" over here, they also make other computer components, sell pre-built computers, screens, notebooks, netbooks and other electronic articles aswell.

They aint that bad if i must say, even tho i dont own anything by them personally except for this PSU, but i work for the government and a lot of the computer stuff in the offices are made by em, even my office's mouse pad has their name in it hahaha, but im more of the good old well known brands (depending on what were buying, of course).

Thank you all for your responses, ill proceed with the buy and post some pics when i get em, then ill start saving for a psu.

get a corsair cx500w... you should be fine with it, cheap and reliable

(sorry double post) If you are going to pay for something new I would get something that will be powerful enough to power future components when you upgrade them. A 500 is only 50 more than you are running right now. I would recommend going with something around 6-800 watts.

Last edited:
(sorry double post) If you are going to pay for something new I would get something that will be powerful enough to power future components when you upgrade them. A 500 is only 50 more than you are running right now. I would recommend going with something around 6-800 watts.

yes youre right... maybe a little bigger then? 600w or 650w? im not really aiming to a really power demanding rig, no sli, crossfire, or anything like that, its just a casual gaming rig, i really need the CPU power right now....

If you will never run SLI/Crossfire, there is no need for more than 500-600W really. And 600W is pushing it. I ran a 5Ghz 2600k and a GTX580/7950 with a 560W PSU (seasonic X560) with ZERO issues. Even when I push the volts and clocks on the GPU, I dont sniff 500W. That said, 600W or less would be fine unless you plan on going SLI/Crossfire which for a single monitor and a midrange and up card, is overkill too.

I was just mentioning upgrading with the idea of future upgrades in mind. I have bought several PSUs because I needed more power where if I had just bought a more powerful one in the first place I would not have wasted all that money. 500 may be good for now but it might not be enough for future upgrades.

Consider the landscape. Has power consumption really gone up lately? Not in CPU's... And GPU's hold steady at the current PCIeSIG standard of less than 300W. Look at the 6970 vs 7970. 260W vs 210W. So are we actually trending up?

Maybe not, but I have wasted enough money on PSUs to not make the mistake of buying one that doesn't have enough power.

I dont see a PSU listed in your sig... but that system can easily run on a quality 500W PSU with your overclocking (and more). Did you purchase a 300W unit or something that necessitated the upgrade? EDIT: I see that 650W Earthwatts now! :)

Anyway, I agree with you to an extent. But there is no way,iIf this user doesnt plan on SLI or Crossfire, there will not be an issue with a 500-600W PSU for any single GPU setup with plenty of headroom and overclocking.

I initially bought a 400 watt when I was upgrading one of my OEM machines with an upgraded video card. When I started building a new machine I bought a 500 watt because I bought 2 6770s and ran them in crossfire. Crossfire sucked so I replaced them with a single MSI 6950 OC and bought a 650 watt because at some point I want to upgrade to watercooling. I guess I am at the point that I would rather pay more to have too much power than not have enough.

You are right there is no need to have that much power for the users current setup but computer building and upgrading is like a drug once you get started you want to upgrade everything. I started just upgrading the video card on my OEM machine. Several months later I have spent almost $2000 creating a great gaming machine.

I have always believed that it is better to have more power than not have enough especially if computer building and upgrading is going to be something that you do. :)

Indeed. And 600W meets that mark!

Your PSU is a solid one, especially for the price. Watercooling doesnt really add much either. Pump is 20W~ or so depending on the pump/speed its run at. And fans, again depending on which ones, do not take up a lot of power, a few watts each. I would have rocked your current rig with water and overclocked on a quality 500W PSU. As it stands, you dont pull more than 350W from the wall (so about 300W actual).

That makes sense. I posted a link earlier for a PSU calculator I found and it said about the same thing. I have more power than I need I guess that is an ok problem though.

Well, there are many brands that i do not know much about that apparently have pretty decent PSUs on sale, or at least to my eyes and what is needed, they dont seem to be that bad, even tho i do know the good brands, and i really know that you cant mess around when buying a PSU, thats why im aiming to a Corsair or Antec.

But, a few weeks ago i went with a friend to buy him a PSU, and, he ended up buying a 600w Noganet PSU (just bear with me here) half the price than the cheapest CoolerMaster you can find in the market (a 460w EPP).
It has Active PFC (dont know much about it but to what i heard its a good feature, if you want to quickly explain me about this i will be grateful), only one 12+ rail (to what ive heard is better than many 12+ lines...) and something like 30A from it (around 360w real power right?) to use in his Phenom II x2 560, 2gb and a 6670.
Keep in mind it was for a family computer, he just bought that GPU for him to play FIFA every now and then with me and some other pals when we get together for a drink and thats not a really power hungry gpu at all, it doesnt even requires an extra connection.

If you ask me, a REALLY decent buy compared to a PSU twice the price with pretty much the same amps, efficiency (70%), power currency, and features... but well, thats just my opinion, and as i said before, i dont really know much about PSUs other than basics, i dont know what other features you might want to keep in mind when buying (besides modular, or not, thats just preference issues) and the quality of the parts in it...

Hey Lautaro...un argentino te contesta ;)
Is it a Noganet psu? or Vitsuba/VTC?
If it's Vitsuba it should be semi-decent. If it's Sentey, they make some really GOOD 80plus gold psu's which are actually in the OCF reccomended psu list -gbp850 series-
They also offer some 550 or 650 80 plus gold series, can't remember the exact model.
Pm me if you have any other doubts ;)
Welcome to OCF btw :D

Hey Lautaro...un argentino te contesta ;)
Is it a Noganet psu? or Vitsuba/VTC?
If it's Vitsuba it should be semi-decent. If it's Sentey, they make some really GOOD 80plus gold psu's which are actually in the OCF reccomended psu list -gbp850 series-
They also offer some 550 or 650 80 plus gold series, can't remember the exact model.
Pm me if you have any other doubts ;)
Welcome to OCF btw :D
Hola como te va? muchas gracias por la bienvenida :D
My psu is a "Bangho", but im planning to upgrade to an Antec or Corsair in a few months, right now i can only afford the CPU, mobo and ram.

My friends PSU that i was telling you about was a Noganet... not bad really.

And yes, i heard really great reviews of the Sentey PSUs, really cheap but yet great units.
But i dont know anything about Vitsuba PSUs.

Back