• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is my barton any good

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

silverdisc

Registered
hello just wondering if anyone has any info on this as i have not tried it yet, still waiting for sp97 from the states ( aqzea o333 rpmw ) its a y chip has anyone got same stepping and what oc have you managed??

If memory serves me correctly, you have the same super stepping that Cathar took to 2.8ghz on water! You should be able to expect at least 2.5ghz with the right amount of voltage.

my barton

2.8 on water!! i am just going to get the hosepipe from the garage. i will be happy if it is not locked and will equal a xp3200 for £70

Really that is the super stepping? ? ?

I just bought one of those from the classifieds section!
Yay, I hope it is!

Yeah, sorry. The processor I was talking about has the identical stepping to Silverdisc's, except that its an AQXEA. Urban legend says that "y" chips slaughter all others... With Cathar beating Prometeia's on water, you can't really argue. Whether or not this is a definite trend is a completely different story. I still have a good feeling about this proc... be sure to tell us how it goes!

XP2500S.jpg

The first character after the stepping, in this case "Y86"

Most processors, AFAIK, have a number in place of the "Y".

thanks for posting that the AQXEA is the super stepping
after reading this thread i took my rig apart
and BINGO there it is WOOT

You've got to be joking. My Barton AQXEA 0323 needs 1.75v for 10.5*210, and won't do 11*210 even at 1.825v (haven't tried 1.85v, my board's max, but don't think it'll matter). My temps are slightly high- 49-51c but I think they're still safe.

I've thought about putting a Smart Fan II on it, but I hear they sound like hairdryers.

I just got a barton 2500+ for christmas this year and it is looking pretty good so far. The chip came from newegg and is locked.

I didn't write down the stepping before I put on my slk800 but
I think it was AQYFA 0347 or something like that.

Since the chip is locked I'm having problems clocking it up with my old 8rda+ and adata ram. I have the ram timings down to 9 4 4 2.5 @ 2.9v so I can run through memtest at 218fsb without any errors.

I'm in the process of running prime95 torture test(small) right now and so far no errors at 2400mhz using default voltage.

Q: is there any reason to runn the larger size p95 torture tests unless you are checking for mem errors?

wpmegee said:
You've got to be joking. My Barton AQXEA 0323 needs 1.75v for 10.5*210, and won't do 11*210 even at 1.825v (haven't tried 1.85v, my board's max, but don't think it'll matter). My temps are slightly high- 49-51c but I think they're still safe.

I've thought about putting a Smart Fan II on it, but I hear they sound like hairdryers.

i'm a total noob to OC'n but it sounds to me like you're having memory problems.
it took me alot of learning to get it this high, and most of it was memory settings and mem voltage
i was using a tornado fan on my thermalright now that sounds like a hair dryer
i put a smart fan II on it and it's nice and quite didn't notice alot of temp difference either

Last edited:
OH my, i have one of these gems, i can hit 2.25 @ stock vcore , i havent taken it higher b/c i had air and im just getting water up , but the max ive done so far is 2.4 @ 1.7vcore , :)

LMAO, it's amazing how gullible some of you are. First, there is no "super stepping," and there never was. Newer steppings always have more overclocking potential, so don't be fooled into thinking that every stepping has unique overclocking characteristics. Second, the whole "Y/9" issue is a complete myth. This value has no effect on overclocking ability.

Actually there are super steppings bro .. Do you think a Jiuhb is as good as a jixib or Niuhb ? NOPE .. Do you think most aqzea's are as good as aqxea 0330 + NOpe ..

I am very pleased I have got a good processor. When it arrives prepare for serious oc-ing.
What is the stock voltage on 2500+ Bartons?

so whats the general opinion of my aqzea 0333 rpmw is it locked and should it overclock ok or not/ is there any lists i can look at that may have info on my stepping?????????

The general opinion is that you'd better try it out as soon as possible... :D I'm sure it will serve you very well. It is not locked, and should overclock very nicely. You have the cooling in check, so all you need on top of that to hit above 2.4 gHz in most cases is a quality power supply.

Back