• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my card dying?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sulretal

Hi, here are my specs

Dell Inspiron 6000
Pentium M 1.6ghz
1.2gig ram
Ati Radeon x300 mobility 64 mb ram

I am not sure why, but I cannot run flash videos very well anymore. I was using latest omega drivers, but switched back to dell.com website ati radeon drivers for my laptop, with both sets of drivers video performance was still horrid. Many videos run decently, but when maximized are extremely choppy even when I give them time to load. This didn't start happening till recently, as before I was able to run flash videos on youtube and escapistmagazine without many issues.

The videos become very choppy and skip seconds. Nothing else has changed on my computer, and I can still run warcraft III fine.

Might anyone know why this is happening? Or perhaps my card is just starting to show its age.

thanks

deed

Tbh I think your whole setup is showing its age. You could get a major performance upgrade just grabbing a sub 100 dollar computer. Can you see your resource usage while running fullscreen? If everythings at normal level I would vote the card is going.

Last edited:

Niku-Sama

i dont any thing is dieing, its just gettin old.

could try adding more ram, i see 1.2gigs i take it its one 1024 stick and one 256 stick, i say ditch the 256 for what ever max its able to see, usually another 1024 stick.

OP
S

sulretal

Thanks for the replies, I figured the laptop could be just getting old. Perhaps I'll start investing in a new desktop with wireless internet or something. I'll see. thanks!

King107s

You would probably benefit from a full reformat and clean install.

Make sure you follow proper proceedure for video driver installation (turn AV off, unistall, delete directory, restart, reinstall with AV still off).

You should check your task manager for other programs that may be taking up resources (RAM) that you don't need running at start up and kill them. Then go to Run and type msconfig to remove them from start up. This could help alleviate some of the load without putting more RAM in there which you should do for how cheap it is and how much it will help.

If you do reformat and install or you don't you should also defrag your hard drive if you havent already, it probably wont help a lot but maybe a little.

As others have said, your system is just out dated.