• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my CPU enough still?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rupa14

Registered
i know that i should just break down and buy a new cpu but im overclocking the heck out of my i7 920 to just over 3.5ghz on watercooling , ill post my specs under this question, but my question is, with my oc'ed CPU from 2.66 to 3.55 i noticed a huge gain in my GPU fps's going up , but im ready to upgrade to a newer one and in a month or so later buy another new gpu for crossfire, will my cpu need upgraded? or will it with its OC be able to push these cards to there fullest.

Intel Core i7 920
Windows 7 Home Premium Edition SP1 (Build 7601)
CPU Arch : 1 CPU - 4 Cores - 8 Threads
CPU PSN : Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
CPU EXT : MMX, SSE (1, 2, 3, 3S, 4.1, 4.2), EM64T, VT-x
CPUID : 6.A.4 / Extended : 6.1A
CPU Cache : L1 : 4 x 32 / 4 x 32 KB - L2 : 4 x 256 KB
CPU Cache : L3 : 8192 KB
Core : Bloomfield (45 nm) / Stepping : C0/C1
Freq : 3569.87 MHz (169.99 * 21)
MB Brand : Asus
MB Model : P6X58D-E
NB : Intel X58 rev 13
SB : Intel 82801JR (ICH10R) rev 00

GPU Type : Radeon HD 5870
GPU Clocks : Core 849 MHz / RAM 1200 MHz
DirectX Version : 11.0

RAM : 8192 MB DDR3 Dual Channel
RAM Speed : 680 MHz (2:8) @ 9-9-9-27

PSU: 750 TX PSU Corsair

CPU COOLING: H80 Water Cooling

HDD: Crucial m4 SSD

all tucked inside a Cooler Master 942 Case

im going with this card

your cpu should be fine for a while, Im running whats in my sig, and I get killer fps in BF3 and MW3. I should be able to get another 2 years or more.. I may get a gtx 660 or something when that comes out and it'll be a nice fps upgrade.

i need to benchmark this card and when i add the new one repost one, anyone know of a handsdown best benchmarking tool for a pc? i had some before but they were on trials and cannot use them anymore

Vantage or 3D Mark 11 would be a good bench to run.
That cpu should be fine for quite a while.

Also I see your running your ram in dual channel. X58 is tri channel. So your missing out on some performance right there.

You could pick up a 12g kit for pretty cheap nowdays.

long but funny story, quick version, i have 12gig kit with 6 sticks and when i put all 6 sticks in the MB only sees the sticks in the center 2 slots, even though cpu id shows 12 gigs of ram..... never resolved this issue

Many times when running all slots full of ram you will need to add voltage to QPI.
Or it could be that the board has dead slots...

if thats so would cpuid show them? i can read the serials off each in it with all 6 inserted but bios and windows only show 2 sticks inserted, i have 4 sticks in the first 4 slots, but with 6 it uses 4 gigs if i put 3 in 1 in each channel it only shows 2 gigs insered

I would try adding a bit of voltage to QPI and make sure your ram is running at 1.65v. Also, you are running 64bit windows correct?

yes 64 bit, and ram is 1.65 and shows in red and said not to go above, guess i should raise the qpi with all 6 sticks inserted to see if i can get them to display?

k, well my X.M.P profile on my ram have the qpi set to 1.40 , so doubt enough there is the prob as any increase goes into the red, the ram is on the list for working ram on the asus website with my board, so maybe dead slots? i have reseated the cpu incase it was not making good contact before

nope , seems with 3 sticks in it only shows 2048 inserted in bios, but cpu id shows 6000 inserted, and funny thing is with all 6 in cpu id shows 12228 single channel.... but windows and bios only shows 4048

i have 602, but 701 is the newest while it states it only adds new cpu support possibly the 32nm ones, if i load this new one in and have my OC profile saved will it quick load back in? or should i write down my clocks and reload them in if they wipe clean

They should save but I always write mine down just in case.

Strange that windows wont show all the ram...
You may try running memtest to see if it shows any errors.

I'm running mem test now, shows all 6 sticks but memory as 4087 and cas 999 27 / single channel

Back