• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my CPU limiting my OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

^wargod

Is my CPU limiting my FSB OC?

Ok. here is my situation, bought parts for my new rig blah blah, NF7 Rev 2, 2500+ AQXEA 0334, OCZ PC3500 EL plat ltd 2x512 and forton 350w psu. First got my rig, put it together, it would only run at 210 fsb without errors, thought it was my memory, RMA'd it and got Mushkin PC3500 black lvl 2 2x512. put mushkin in, wouldnt do 217 either, then my board, died, so i RMA'd it for a new one, i was hoping my board was limiting me.

Just got my board back today, put everything in, and my mushkin won't run at 217, running memtest on it at 210 now, i guess i'd be fine with that... but anyway, think it is my CPU limitng my FSB? i thought AQXEA was a good stepping :( i guess i'll be happy with
210x11.5 if i can get it to run at that.

just to note i changed voltages of course, changed bioses, etc wouldnt run at 217.

Just want to know if it may be my CPU limiting my FSB overclock. i WOULD maybe buy a new one if this were the case, but with the locked CPUs i'll just stick with this, sick of RMAing everything ;) thanks for any help

I've had 3 barton 2500+'s and none of them were prime95 stable above 210MHz FSB ! I consider 0 errors running for at least 24 hours prime stable!

But 2 out of the three reached 2300Mhz at 1.85 volts Prime stable ! my rig normaly sits @ 11 x 200 @ 1.75v 24/7

alot of people like to strech the truth when posting there overclock :D :D :D

^wargod said:
what board and what ram did you have?

NF7-S v2
I did have XMS3500 but soon realized that it was overkill so I sold it off, and bought a gig of Buffalo PC3200 (winbond CH-5) wich runs up to 220MHz @ 2, 2, 3, 5. but I get higher benchies when it runs with the row-active delay at 11 !

going to a lan friday, gonna see if anyone will let me try their AMDs in my system lol, and if i can run a higher FSB then i know it's my damn CPU :( wish they werent multi locked now or else i'd buy a new one

its prolly not ur cpu its prolly the board my nf7-s did not run above 210 with pc3700 geil but the ram would run at 245+ on his board... just a nf7 :p (thats with my cpu in both boards) so from what i learned my nf7-s did not like higher fsbs (try diff bioses those helped me and hurt me)

yea, seeing some people get up to 240 fsb on an NF7, i couldnt get over 210 with two NF7's, oh well, im sick of testing and want to use my computer :p memtest ran all night at 205 with my mushkin so i may just stick with this. if i can get it prime stable at 205x11.5 i guess i'll be happy :q

well like i said, my friend has a 2500+ also, he OC'd it only to a 3200+ by multiplier, at the lan gonna swap it in, if it works well i'm gonna beg him if we can swap lol
and after going through two boards and two types of ram, i think it's my CPU, PSU is stable
ram won't hit above 210 in dual or single channel

Just rememder NOT to give it more than 1.95 Volts if your on air !

I gave one of mine 2.1 and it permanately cripeled it's FSB overclock! it used to go up to 225MHz FSB but after I gave it all that juice it refulesd to boot into windows above 210MHz !!

Last edited:
heh yea np, i hate going over 1.9, i have it at 1.875 now, if it's stable now i'll just slowly bump the FSB till it isnt stable and leave it at that
been messing with this system for way too long, wanna start actually using it :)

i can't get mine to boot over 224 fsb
i have that same stepping and it runs great,
crucial 2x256 3200 at 7-2-2-2.5

Back