• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Is my External HDD taking the long nap?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member
I have a WD MY Passport Ultra 1TB External drive that I use for large file transfer between systems (2 physical locations). It recently stopped being recognized by my laptop at one location. I brought it home and plugged it into my NAS and it is still not recognized.

Additional information/steps attempted.

Laptop @ remote location(no internet) - Tried multiple USB ports. I get the audible tone that it connects but does not appear in Explorer.

Local Desktop (NAS) - Tried multiple USB ports. Again I get audible tone it is connected but nothing in Explorer. Opened Disk Manager, it's not there either.

I have not tried opening the sealed case and extracting the drive to see if I can connect it manually to a desktop.

The drive has an internal light that does illuminate when plugged in so the cable is providing power. No idea if it is still under warranty. Hell, I don't even remember where I bought it, either Microcenter or Amazon.

What are the chances I can perform CPR and breathe life back into it?

Solution
My replacement cable came in and low and behold, it's alive again! A huge thank you to Don256us for suggesting it could be the cable. For $7-8 I have an external 1TB drive again.

I'm thinking, I always left the cable attached to the drive and just carried it like it had a tail. I'm guessing that probably damages the small micro connector. From now on I'll be sure to disconnect the cable before transporting.

Side note: my backup external is only 320GB but I have a 2.5" 1 TB drive that I pulled from my wife's laptop when I updated her to an m.2 NVMe. So I'm going to swap the sata drives in that housing and I'll have 2x 1TB externals now.

:cheers:

20220127_163854_HDR.jpg
The only thing you can do is, like you've said, to shuck the drive out and connect it to your system without the passport chassis/interface to see if that's the problem. Otherwise......... :(

I decided to crack it open. It's a typical WD blue with the silly micro USB connector. I was hoping there was an adapter inside the cashing that could be disconnected with the drive being a typical 2.5" lappy drive. MEH

20220121_140206.jpg

I remember seeing a drive similar to that & what we are seeing in the picture was the adapter with standard sata/power connectors under it. You might what to look closer & see if there's an adapter to remove.

Unfortunately it is a USB connector and not SATA. This is done to prevent people from shucking lower cost external drives for use internally. Not every external drive does this but more and more do.

If you have an extra cable you could try it to see if the issue is the cable or the drive itself. That's the best I got. The thought is that the constant plugging/unplugging may have worn the cable out.

If it is under warranty, opening it up may not have voided the warranty. Search through your old purchases on Amazon to see if you got it there and when.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

There is no adapter. I didn't take a pic of the other side but it's soldered to the drives PCB.

That's definitely a USB connector (USB 3.0 Micro-B) and not SATA. It looks like I can get a replacement cable for ~$7. I'd rather not spend the money on something I'll probably never need again but if that's what it is then I guess it's worth it...plus It's only $7. I've spent more than that on a single beer. Lol

I checked amazon and nothing. If my horrible memory serves me correctly it was a spontaneous purchase at MC years ago. I checked my receipts folder and nothing (and I had receipts from my old HD7850s). Any warranty I'm sure is long gone anyhow.

Thanks for the advice. I'll order this cable and report back when it comes in.

Last edited:
I dropped one of these several years ago, about 18-20" to a hardwood floor. I'm pretty sure I didn't exceed the stated 1500g's that we all see as the acceleration/deceleration rating. It died. Wasn't a connector issue. I pulled the housing and couldn't get any response so it became my excuse to ignore external drives excepting flash.

My replacement cable came in and low and behold, it's alive again! A huge thank you to Don256us for suggesting it could be the cable. For $7-8 I have an external 1TB drive again.

I'm thinking, I always left the cable attached to the drive and just carried it like it had a tail. I'm guessing that probably damages the small micro connector. From now on I'll be sure to disconnect the cable before transporting.

Side note: my backup external is only 320GB but I have a 2.5" 1 TB drive that I pulled from my wife's laptop when I updated her to an m.2 NVMe. So I'm going to swap the sata drives in that housing and I'll have 2x 1TB externals now.

:cheers:

20220127_163854_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
Back