• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my hard drive all screwed up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krusty

Insane Overclocking Clown
Just got myself a WD 120GB SE hard drive installed a little over a week ago and I've been having nothing but problems since then.

First of all: My computer has not been overclocked AT ALL. I put everything at stock when partitioning, formatting, and installing. I then overclocked it a bit, but put it back to stock when I started having problems.

In the past week, I have had to re-image my drive 4 or 5 times because of corrupt windows files or missing files. There have been a couple different errors that caused me to have to reformat, but it has always been about a bad file somewhere.

My computer used to be perfectly stable. Only recent upgrades were an Athlon XP 1600+ (unlocked) and the new hard drive.

I'm just about to start running some hard drive diagnostics to see if it finds anything, but I figured I should ask you guys in the mean time. Is my hard drive already screwed up?

EDIT: Another issue that has occurred aside from missing or corrupted files is that once in a while, my computer needs to do a system scan on bootup to check disk integrity. I have never seen this in my life for a drive formatted NTFS. It has happened twice this week.

Also, before doing all of the installing and such, I did have my fsb overclocked to 170fsb for a few hours and 163fsb for a few days. When I installed my new hard drive, everything was set back to stock though.

Last edited:

black_dog

Registered
Hmm, that does seem like strange behavior. Did you run scandisk and everything was ok? You can try downloading a drive fitness test from any major hard disk manufacturers web site, preferably yours. If your fsb was at 163mhz with a divider of four, then your pci/hdd speed yould be 40.75mhz. This is way over 33mhz and I thought Western Digitals weren't too keen on high fsb's. I have had bad luck with hard drives and slightly augmented fsb's :( I would see if a drive test turned up any physical disk errors. Good luck!

UnWishedLegacy

WD have a utlity called DataGuard- Heres the link (from another Thread..) http://support.wdc.com/download

how long did you leave your HD before clocking it? Most people normaly burn it in for a few days first (sure theres an APP for it somewhere) but it sounds to me like you just pushed it too hard, too fast- It's always a pain in the 4$$ when that happens, esspecialy with a big and expensive piece of equipment.

But you could always practive with it for a cool window mob or something, however...

[Adopts a serious stance]

As a member of OEM I'm compelled to tell you that if you discover that overclocking is the reason for your hard-drives death and you decide to RMA as faulty or D.O.A- its not right, and it messes the RMA process for the genuine people that need it.
if you want to rant/rave/get more info- click the link in my sig.

But I've seen you around- so you know where I'm coming from, right?

Last edited:

Caffinehog

Übercaffinated Member
It sounds to me like there is a problem with the hard drive getting corrupted. This is NOT always the drive's fault. If you have another system, try running the drive in that for a while. I rather suspect that it is a processor, memory, or IDE controller problem

OP
Krusty

Krusty

Insane Overclocking Clown
Maybe I wasn't completely clear about the overclocking part. The 120GB hard drive has NEVER been overclocked yet. I put my system back to stock speed just before installing my hard drive to ensure that there are no problems that come up due to pushing my hard drive too much.

I only mentioned the high fsb overclock because I'm guessing there could be a chance that it partially fried another component in my computer aside from the hard drive. I am doubting this is the case though because my motherboard is an Epox 8kha+, which is known for doing insane things with the fsb. So if anything were going to fry, I'd think my ethernet card would have been the first thing to go. It actually turns out that my memory began crapping out at about 163fsb. Hmm, maybe I should run some diagnostic on my memory to make sure it's all good. Anyone know of any good memory diagnostic utilities that will not only burn in, but inform me of any memory errors?

Also, I ran Data Lifeguard Diagnostics, which is on a disk that came with the hard drive. It took an hour to analyze my hard drive and came up with no errors. Funny thing though, the bootable floppy that all these utilities came on also has an RMA form added so I can fill out and print an RMA request without even booting into an OS.

UnWishedLegacy

Krusty said:
....Also, I ran Data Lifeguard Diagnostics, which is on a disk that came with the hard drive. It took an hour to analyze my hard drive and came up with no errors. Funny thing though, the bootable floppy that all these utilities came on also has an RMA form added so I can fill out and print an RMA request without even booting into an OS.

You sound almost surprised, If a hard drive is knackered- you couldnt use an OS at all so it makes sense to be able to print/save from the disk.

I'm sorry if I sounded too acusational about the overclocking- I guess i misread your original post. But if the Data Life Guard says that there are no errors- then I'd check in another system.

I'm of to eat humble pie now [chomp, munch]