• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my HD starting to die?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Makkarah

Well, last night I woke up when my comp did a silent "Bzz" voice, and I noticed that my hard drive LED was lit up for like 15 secs, comp wasn't doing anything special at that time, just was on.

Now today I checked my event log, and saw this info:
Date: 27th of May, 2003
Time: 3:54 AM
Type: Error
User: -
Computer: Mine
Source: atapi
Class: none
ID: 9

Description:
Device \Device\Ide\IdePort0 didn't answer within timeout period.

I'm not completely sure of the wording since I had to translate it to english in my head. But it's close of that... This was the second time it happened, and I'm getting a bit worried.

stool

Download the diagnostic software for your hard drive from the manufacturers website and run it. There are links for most in the sticky at the top of the page.

OP
Makkarah

Makkarah

Well I reseated all cables now, and my second intake fan goes right on my hard drive so it provides a bit of cooling for them.

Another thing I just noted, when I shutdown my comp, the hard drive makes the exact same noise as what it did when it glitched a bit... Power supply not strong enough? Strange that it affects only that one hard drive though.
I have to see about if it behaves now, diagnostic software didn't report anything special.