• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is my hdd dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rich'[ard]

hey guys.
was in the middle of playing NFS Shift yesterday and my computer suddenly froze up and bsod-ed.
i thought it was just one of those rare bsod occasions so i went to restart computer, but then when it finished the POST sequence i got the message
"please insert correct boot device or boot media"
i knew it coudln't find Windows, so i tried the following things:
reset to default BIOS settings
checked sata/sata power cables
did a cold restart.

those didn't work, so i plugged my hdd into my bro's comp and the moment i turned it on my harddrive started making a clicking noise.
i then asked my friend and he said it might be a power issue...but i don't see how it'd just suddenly not be able to power through the cable.
is my hdd just dead?

EDIT: also, i tried to feel with my fingers if it was spinning, and it seemed to be.
all i'm worried about is getting my data back. i lost my music, photos and program files. i can just redownload program files but i didn't back up my photos which i'm most worried about. half my music is on my mp3 so that isnt' so bad...but my PHOTOS! :(

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers
hey guys.
was in the middle of playing NFS Shift yesterday and my computer suddenly froze up and bsod-ed.
i thought it was just one of those rare bsod occasions so i went to restart computer, but then when it finished the POST sequence i got the message
"please insert correct boot device or boot media"
i knew it coudln't find Windows, so i tried the following things:
reset to default BIOS settings
checked sata/sata power cables
did a cold restart.

those didn't work, so i plugged my hdd into my bro's comp and the moment i turned it on my harddrive started making a clicking noise.
i then asked my friend and he said it might be a power issue...but i don't see how it'd just suddenly not be able to power through the cable.
is my hdd just dead?

EDIT: also, i tried to feel with my fingers if it was spinning, and it seemed to be.
all i'm worried about is getting my data back. i lost my music, photos and program files. i can just redownload program files but i didn't back up my photos which i'm most worried about. half my music is on my mp3 so that isnt' so bad...but my PHOTOS! :(

Richard,

This doesn't sound good. I have never witnessed a complete and utter hard drive failure that didn't give some indication something was not right beforehand but many others have. Any unusual sounds coming from a hard drive is not good, especially under your circumstances. The platters may be spinning fine but the read-write heads could be borked.

Can you get a boot disk with chkdsk on it and run that? There is another program available called Spinrite from Gibson Research, it's not free, but it works very well handling failing hard drives but nothing can fix physical damage 100%.

OP
Rich'[ard]

Rich'[ard]

as far as i'm aware there were no signs :(
you think it's actually dead?
i installed windows 7 last friday. there harddrive didn't show any signs of failure like random freezing or slow bootup times or w/e.
but...when i turned the computer off after i coudl'nt get into windows i noticed they were running fairly warm.
i took my front fans out because i thought my harddrives were running cool - about 25c before i removed the fans...so i thought it'd be ok.

do you reckon harddrive failure could be caused by overheating? but then again my other Samsung drive didn't die...only my OS drive did :shrug:

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers
as far as i'm aware there were no signs :(
you think it's actually dead?
i installed windows 7 last friday. there harddrive didn't show any signs of failure like random freezing or slow bootup times or w/e.
but...when i turned the computer off after i coudl'nt get into windows i noticed they were running fairly warm.
i took my front fans out because i thought my harddrives were running cool - about 25c before i removed the fans...so i thought it'd be ok.

do you reckon harddrive failure could be caused by overheating? but then again my other Samsung drive didn't die...only my OS drive did :shrug:

Richard,

Hard drives can tolerate heat before it gets critical so I would only be guessing. It's not likely heat caused a failure if your hard drive is indeed bad. Just try a boot disk with chkdsk on it and see what happens.

As I stated, sometimes there is no warning for a SATA drive failure and sometimes there is.

dito

i'm guessing WD. i have 5 or more dead WD drives around here...
sounds like a dead drive to me. especially if it's clicking!

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
i'm guessing WD. i have 5 or more dead WD drives around here...
sounds like a dead drive to me. especially if it's clicking!

Lol, i have a 5 year old WD that's still running great to this day :D

I had a Maxtor that died like this... 2 actually, so it's really not looking good :/

OP
Rich'[ard]

Rich'[ard]

+1

But ill put 5 bucks down on it being a seagate. :beer:
LOL. if only you lived next door, you'd be $5 richer.
and yes it's a 7200.11 250gb HDD.

BUT somehow...i put the drive in my Dad's PC just a while ago and it works again.
currently backing up all my files and seeing if it works in my pc again.

jason4207, as soon as i booted the drive on my bro's pc the HDD started making clicking noises. it soudned like it was trying to spin, but coudln't, so it keep retrying.
on my computer, there were no clicking noises but after POST it would say "please insert boot media or correct boot media device' which i'm thinking is implying i need to install Windows.

guys, can HDD actually pass out with excessive heat?
when i removed it from my Antec 900 HDD cage it was fairly warm. about as warm as my northbridge (from my slight memory), which i reckon was atleast 40c.
this may be due to the fact that i took our my front cage fans because they just sucked in too much dust...and i thoguht my HDDs would be able to withstand the heat - but now seeing as it's summer and ambient temps are usually 25c, there might be more stress on all my hardware, contributing to a higher case temp.

nzaneb

and yes it's a 7200.11 250gb HDD.

Make sure you update to the latest firmware for that drive. The 7200.11's had massive problems, all "supposedly" fixed by a firmware upgrade. Many people lost A LOT of data. Check the Seagate website, I think they'll swap it out for free, if you ship it back to them. If, for some reason, you don't get all of your data off, and it disappears again... PM me, I'll walk you through the steps I took to get mine back, from a BSY error.

OP
Rich'[ard]

Rich'[ard]

Make sure you update to the latest firmware for that drive. The 7200.11's had massive problems, all "supposedly" fixed by a firmware upgrade. Many people lost A LOT of data. Check the Seagate website, I think they'll swap it out for free, if you ship it back to them. If, for some reason, you don't get all of your data off, and it disappears again... PM me, I'll walk you through the steps I took to get mine back, from a BSY error.
yeah thanks,
i just backed up all my files on that drive. using the drive on my own PC as i type.
is the firmware not able to be updated by yourself?
i dunno how it was dead the other day, and suddenly now it is alive again.

it's as if it just wanted to give in for some reason.
i'm starting to think it was overheating...but can HDDs just bsod --> completely blank out from too much heat?
previous to now, i didn't touch my HDD/computer for 2 days. no doubt the harddrive woudl've cooled down in that period.

OP
Rich'[ard]

Rich'[ard]

ok guys, got an update.
it seems to be something to do with my overclock.
after moving back to my current computer i dialed in my OC settings and once again it said "please insert correct boot media"
it used to be fine with my settings, but now it won't work for some reason.
gonna have to check my settings for stability again...damnit