• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is my HDD failing: random click?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

juliox

Registered
hi guys, i have these segate barracuda 2tb for like a year and a half already, like 6 mounths ago i had 28 bad sectors, but with segate tools i remap them and fixed any problem after that i havent had anymore bad sectors and the drive works fine.

My question is, some times i can hear the drive make a click noise but is like every 3 hours or sometimes in some 6 hours secions it never hapens, is completely random and is just 1 click not click click click, is just 1. when it happens the drive still works fine does not freze or anything.

i triend runing smart and except for the 28 realocated sector(yeap the are still only 28) everything passes, i tried runing all test on segate tools even the long one and it passed every one of them, more so in the 4 hours it took to do the long test it never click once.

i friend told me that i sould not be worried and that it click because the head passes were those bad sectors are and since it need to realocate itself it makes that click.

so can i trust him is my HDD safe?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Is the drive going into power saving mode so its idle when that happens?

I would see what the SMART details say in the seagate tools about drive health. While not the end all, its more than going by a click. :)

OP
J

juliox

Registered
is my main drive some time happens while is in idle, sometimes when it is reading, sometimes gaming, sometimes never happens. completely random but it doesnt affect anything all keeep runing fine, smart in segate tools, cristal disk and speedfan passes fine

Last edited:

mimart7

is my main drive some time happens while is in idle, sometimes when it is reading, sometimes gaming, sometimes never happens. completely random but it doesnt affect anything all keeep runing fine, smart in segate tools, cristal disk and speedfan passes fine

Check the SMART data from time to time, if you see a growing number of bad sectors, backup the drive, and buy a new one. I hope you have some sort of back strategy in place.

Mighty_Miro_WD

Western Digital Representative
Hi @juliox!

I agree with @mimart7 - make a backup of the most crucial data just in case and monitor the S.M.A.R.T. values so you can see if the number of reallocated sectors is increasing or not.

That's because the replacement sectors available are limited and once that number is reached no more sectors can be "fixed". 28 reallocated sectors is not a big number, but nonetheless it should be monitored because it can become large at some later point.

So in short, the drive looks fine for now, especially since nothing was detected by the extended test. However, if these numbers could become very large in a very short period of time make a complete backup and look for a replacement unit.

Hope this helps and best of luck! :)

HankB

Hi @juliox!

I agree with @mimart7 - make a backup of the most crucial data just in case and monitor the S.M.A.R.T. values so you can see if the number of reallocated sectors is increasing or not.

That's because the replacement sectors available are limited and once that number is reached no more sectors can be "fixed". 28 reallocated sectors is not a big number, but nonetheless it should be monitored because it can become large at some later point.

So in short, the drive looks fine for now, especially since nothing was detected by the extended test. However, if these numbers could become very large in a very short period of time make a complete backup and look for a replacement unit.

For reference my Seagate 2TB Barracuda developed about 2500 remapped sectors before I took it out of service. It did this over a period of over a year. It was located in an area where I would not have heard any noise so I cannot comment on that.

My other Seagate 2TB drive started developing remapped sectors and I took it out of service too. Both are now used in a USB drive sled for occasional backups.

After this (and reading the Backblaze reports) I no longer buy Seagate drives. Sad, really, I have some 200GB Barracudas that have over 8 years of on time and they are all still going strong.

OP
J

juliox

Registered
Hi @juliox!

mine got these 28 sector back in november 2015, up until now 6 months later it has the same 28 and hasnt developed any new ones.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
Backup now and get a new drive.
HDD's are cheap in today's world so I see no reason to hope a questionable drive keeps on chugging away.

Recovering data from a dead or near death drive is not fun.

OP
J

juliox

Registered
ok next mouth i will get a new one, right now i kind of low on money after my new GPU. i want to clone the drive so what software do you guys recomend me.