• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my OC safe for day to day use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sasani

Registered
I have had some experience overclocking with AMD, recently I bought a new system

Asus z170 AR
i5 6600k
Watercooled

I thought I would let AI Suite III auto overclock my system and I have reached 4.7Ghz with the following voltages etc...
OC.PNG

I have two questions:
1. is it safe to keep this OC for day to day use, can it kill my CPU? or should I save it as a profile and use default settings day to day
2. is it worth going through a manual OC to get better or is the AI Suite OC likely to be as good as it gets?

Any help would be much appreciated.

wingman99

What does CPU-Z say for core voltage under load also have your run a good stress test like Pime95?

Keep the temperature under 90c and Vcore voltage below 1.44v

OP
S

sasani

Registered
Here are some numbers while running Prime 95

DRAM Voltage is 1.2 - everything else is:
OC.PNG

Kenrou

VCore is right at the edge, as long as you keep your temps under 90c you're golden :thup:

OP
S

sasani

Registered
Thanks guys, temps are really low.

So no downside to leaving it overclocked if stable then?

This is an upgrade from AMD FX9320 - and it feels so much faster already and I haven't even gotten into a game yet! The rate at which it gets through those prime tests feels like more than double the speed of the AMD.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
Thanks guys, temps are really low.

So no downside to leaving it overclocked if stable then?

This is an upgrade from AMD FX9320 - and it feels so much faster already and I haven't even gotten into a game yet! The rate at which it gets through those prime tests feels like more than double the speed of the AMD.

Little more optimized I would think vs AMD FX at prime 95 ;)

Let me know how it does gaming. I'm an AMD fan, but even I'm considering a newer Intel build :chair:
So seeing some FPS number or something would be nice. :)

chrisjames61

Let me know how it does gaming. I'm an AMD fan, but even I'm considering a newer Intel build :chair:

Just wait for ZEN Silver_Pharaoh. Just a few more months bro. You will end up being happy. Intel rigs are boring. I really think ZEN will be the bomb.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
Just wait for ZEN Silver_Pharaoh. Just a few more months bro. You will end up being happy. Intel rigs are boring. I really think ZEN will be the bomb.
Yes but it requires Win10 (if I stick with Windows), which I don't have or ever want.
That's where 4th gen Intel comes in ;)

But yes, Intel rig in terms or overclocking are very boring. I'll be messing with the BCLK again regardless.

wingman99

Here are some numbers while running Prime 95

DRAM Voltage is 1.2 - everything else is:
View attachment 183201

That is a good overclock congratulation you have done a good job, there is no down side to leaving it overclocked the chip should last past it's usefulness:)

I like boring overclocking it's better then screaming at my PC because it does not overclock.;)

OP
S

sasani

Registered

I hard to directly compare the AMD & Intel chips because I have also upgraded my graphics from a AMD 7950 Boost to RX 480. In hindsight I wish I had gone for a better GPU, perhaps 1070.

I agree, I have always been more loyal towards AMD, but my old motherboard died 2 months ago, no PC for that whole time whilst waiting for Zen. Then I realised Zen may well be delayed, or may not live upto expectations. Personally I hope it is fantastic.

That is a good overclock congratulation you have done a good job, there is no down side to leaving it overclocked the chip should last past it's usefulness:)

I like boring overclocking it's better then screaming at my PC because it does not overclock.;)

It just feels weird to have reached 4.7ghz without any pain, fiddling around, constant restarting and a silhouette of Prime 95 burned into my screen... Did I luck out with the chip or is 4.7 pretty standard for 6600k?

OP
S

sasani

Registered
Actually the overclock was very unstable and kept crashing. I re-ran Asus's dual intelligent processor 5 with memory stress test selected - it couldn't get above 4.3ghz.

There may be some fun to be had after all. There are some great guides for AMD OCing - do you guys have any links to good guides for my 6600k?

wingman99

What is your Vcore voltage running prime95 using HWMonitor to measure the voltage? For 4.5GHz Vcore should be around 1.33v in HWMonitor.

OP
S

sasani

Registered
Thanks for the continued help wingman

OK at 4.5ghz with Prime95 running i get the following on HWMonitor:
Capture.PNG

wingman99

HWmonitor looks good however it shows VID, What does HWmonitor show for vcore it is under the motherboard area.
i5 6600k 4.5GHz.jpg

Last edited:
OP
S

sasani

Registered
HWmonitor looks good however it shows VID, What does HWmonitor show for vcore it is under the motherboard area.
View attachment 183353

Hmmm, That is all that showed up in HWMonitor, my fans don't show up either. I'll play around when I'm back at the PC to see if I can get HWMonitor to recognise VCore etc.

OP
S

sasani

Registered
So HWMonitor just recognised the motherboard, but after a restart it stopped again, luckily I did get a screencap with prime running whilst HWMonitor was playing ball...
Capture.PNG