• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my PSU strong enough (HD 5850)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killem2

Thanks to the awesome help around here, I have decided that when I upgrade in a couple months for my gfx, the 5850 is going to be it. However, I am not the great at PSU knowledge. This is my current PSU. I think it'll be enough but I want to make sure:

My system included currently - gfx card:
E8400 @ 4.0ghz with a rather large cooler (Nirvana Zerotherm (has 120mm led fan as well)
4 gigs ddr ram
3x Hard drives
2x LED 120mm fans with
2x non led 120mm fans
Sound card
2x dvd burner drives

Here is my PSU

XION Supernova XON-600F14R-201 600W
17-190-012-S01

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Well, Im not so certain its a quality PSU by the brand, but I dont know for sure. I would have to imagine its OK though.

OP
killem2

killem2

Well, Im not so certain its a quality PSU by the brand, but I dont know for sure. I would have to imagine its OK though.

Yeah I will admit, I did skimp on the psu, but as most things I buy i was doing a lot of review looking. I could have swore what made be buy it was someone talking about sli'd 260s and I figured that's pretty decent for the price it was. Reviews didn't show any problems.

Of course reviews and great reliability are one thing, but if the damn thing just isn't physcially capable of doing it.. time to replace ya know? :D I'd rather not replace it of course but if it has to be done, I will have to probably wait a bit longer.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Sadly, I cant get to that PSU link you provided b/c my office blocks one of the hops its taking b/c the forum implemented some money making thing causing the one of the hops to get caught up in our filter.

With that said, a different XION model was on the dont not buy list here........

Im sure it will work, I would just make that the first thing you look at when upgrading in the future.

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers
Thanks to the awesome help around here, I have decided that when I upgrade in a couple months for my gfx, the 5850 is going to be it. However, I am not the great at PSU knowledge. This is my current PSU. I think it'll be enough but I want to make sure:

My system included currently - gfx card:
E8400 @ 4.0ghz with a rather large cooler (Nirvana Zerotherm (has 120mm led fan as well)
4 gigs ddr ram
3x Hard drives
2x LED 120mm fans with
2x non led 120mm fans
Sound card
2x dvd burner drives

Here is my PSU

XION Supernova XON-600F14R-201 600W
17-190-012-S01

Did you already buy it?

It's a Superflower unit, 38 amps 12v rails combined. Not too good for a 600W unit. I can think of better much choices.

OP
killem2

killem2

Did you already buy it?

It's a Superflower unit, 38 amps 12v rails combined. Not too good for a 600W unit. I can think of better much choices.

yeah I have had this since feb 2008.

Here are the specs if its blocked for you.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Model
Brand XION
Model XON-600F14R-201
Series Supernova
Spec
Type ATX12V
Maximum Power 600W
Fans 1 x 140 mm Cooling Ceramic Bearing Blue LED Fan
PFC No
Main Connector 20+4Pin
+12V Rails 2
PCI-Express Connector 2 x 6-Pin
SLI Certified
CrossFire Ready
Modular Yes
Efficiency > 75%
Over Voltage Protection Yes
Input Voltage 115/ 230 V
Input Frequency Range 50/60 Hz
Input Current 10.7/6.2A
Output [email protected],[email protected],[email protected],[email protected],
[email protected],[email protected]
MTBF 100,000+ hours at 70% of full rated load
Approvals cUL, CE, FCC, CB
Features
Connectors 1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
1 x 12V(P4)
1 x 12V(8Pin)
9 x peripheral
4 x SATA
1 x Floppy
2 x PCI-E
Features Compliance with ATX Specification V 2.20 ( Compatible with ALL ATX v 2.01 system )
Real Power Capacity satisfy High-end system operation
Support latest P4 Prescott and Athlon 64/64 FX processors based systems
Intelligent Auto Fan Speed Control
OVP/UVP/OPP/Short Protection.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Yeah, ouch. A 600W PSU with 38A on the 12v rails? Must be an old spec PSU or something. Any modern PSU today worth its salt would have AT LEAST 45A on the 12v rail...

OP
killem2

killem2

Yeah, ouch. A 600W PSU with 38A on the 12v rails? Must be an old spec PSU or something. Any modern PSU today worth its salt would have AT LEAST 45A on the 12v rail...

Yeah it was back in 2008. Can i harm my pc by pulling to much or will the psu just fail?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
You will be fine. The amperage is enough, just 'low' when compared to most 600W PSUs. Just keep it in mind to upgrade when you have a chance to do so. :)

OP
killem2

killem2

You will be fine. The amperage is enough, just 'low' when compared to most 600W PSUs. Just keep it in mind to upgrade when you have a chance to do so. :)

Yeah its so sad that in feb 2008 THAT PSU was over kill LOL. for what I was running.

atomic ferret

Luckily, 5850's don't draw too much power, so you should be okay. I would swap it out for a better unit if you upgrade anything or add another gpu.

OP
killem2

killem2

Luckily, 5850's don't draw too much power, so you should be okay. I would swap it out for a better unit if you upgrade anything or add another gpu.

So I need to look out for 45 amp ? is that usually listed in the specs clearly?

How did you figure up 38 A?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
What you should really do is look at the PSU GUIDE in my signature... That gives a list of known good (and bad) brands to choose from. While that guide is helpful, towards the bottom of the list is a link to another PSU thread that is a lot more encompasing from extremeoverclockers.com forums. take a read a learn up a bit on why we are saying these things if you have a chance.

You dont just add up the rails on a PSU to get its output in a lot of cases. Sometimes on the sticker you will see 20A/20A/20A and below that a wattage. In this case, if the wattage does not equal 732W then it cant output 60A total.

EDIT: I cant even find that PSU at newegg............
EDIT2: I found it, its deactivated!!

OP
killem2

killem2

What you should really do is look at the PSU GUIDE in my signature... That gives a list of known good (and bad) brands to choose from. While that guide is helpful, towards the bottom of the list is a link to another PSU thread that is a lot more encompasing from extremeoverclockers.com forums. take a read a learn up a bit on why we are saying these things if you have a chance.

You dont just add up the rails on a PSU to get its output in a lot of cases. Sometimes on the sticker you will see 20A/20A/20A and below that a wattage. In this case, if the wattage does not equal 732W then it cant output 60A total.

EDIT: I cant even find that PSU at newegg............

Yeah its a deactivated item I only have it because I bought it so I can look in item history.

RollingThunder

Yeah its a deactivated item I only have it because I bought it so I can look in item history.

Killen,

Use it but if you begin to have BSOD or warm boots, replace it. That power supply sticky ED posted is our collective guide from Diaz. It needs to be updated when he returns. A Corsair 550TX would cover you easily or anything in the 500 - 550 w range on that list if it has the connectors and if you need to replace your Xion.

OP
killem2

killem2

Killen,

Use it but if you begin to have BSOD or warm boots, replace it. That power supply sticky ED posted is our collective guide from Diaz. It needs to be updated when he returns. A Corsair 550TX would cover you easily or anything in the 500 - 550 w range on that list if it has the connectors and if you need to replace your Xion.

Ok, I will look out for that. Corsair is one of the choices I was looking at, just at the time my budget was so tight when I upgraded in 2008. What killed me was that e8400. It was 230.00 at that time. It was suppose to be like 185.00 but it too was short stocked and selling like friggin crazy.

Just a quick side question though, my PSU runs two pci-e on the same cord is that going to be a problem for the 5850 or do I need one pci-e connector coming from at least one cord each?

RollingThunder

So actually this psu is a 456 watt psu? and the 600 is what like Peak power?

Killen,

It's an advertising game many of the lesser makers use to enhance the appearance of their units until you read the fine print. It's really a much overrated 600W unit. Those on the sticky list will show you true output on their labels because they have nothing to hide.