• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my RAM really bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

j1mmers

Registered
I built a brand new PC back in June and everything has been working great. I think it's only crashed twice. Long story short I tested the RAM with Memetest 86 and HCI memtest and both give hundreds of errors in which I narrowed it down to 1 stick.

I tried increasing the voltage a bit but I still get errors. I even turned off DOCP but I still get a ton of errors.

Could the RAM actually be bad since the PC is essentially fine?

Asus ROQ Strix B550 Gaming
Ryzen 3700x
16GB Ram
MSI Mech 3600xt

Appreciate the help!

If you're getting mem errors, your PC is not 'fine'. Just a matter of time before you corrupt your OS or worse.
Replace that bad ram.

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of.

So now my question is that when I RMA the RAM my PC won't work. Would it work if I purchased the same set I have now to use until my RMA comes back, then combine both kits to have 32GB? So essentially 4x8 sticks? I've always thought it was best to use 2 sticks if possible instead of 4.

You can, and it is. That doesn't mean that you can't run 4 sticks if you want though.

You say your pc has "only crashed twice". That's fine? It shouldn't be crashing at all.

You say your pc has "only crashed twice". That's fine? It shouldn't be crashing at all.

Well I can appreciate and understand what you're saying, don't all PCs crash once and awhile?

I've never had ram issues before so I just assumed the PC would be acting very different. It's never crashed during normal use, only twice while in a game.

Either way I have new RAM on the way. Appreciate everyone's insight.

I had a similar issue years back with my first machine that I purchased from one of these PC shops that builds you a machine from scratch. Long story short I managed to RMA the ram 1 month before the warranty expired.

In my case I was getting thousands of errors. Like Trents said shouldn't be crashing at all.

If I was in your shoes I would do the same as you have suggested get some more ram to make your machine useable while you RMA the defective ram.

Just as a follow up to this thread, I got the new RAM and don't have any errors. :)

Thanks everyone.

Back