• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my second GPU not being used to it's fullest potential ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

topless_banana

Registered
Edit: Solved.

After building my PC I ran the Heaven Benchmark for the first time and noticed the results weren't impressive.

So I looked at the TweakTown benchmark for GTX 980 Ti SLI and their results were 97fps avg.

99_72_3440x1440-benchmarked-nvidia-geforce-cards-sli.png

Now what I got with my EVGA GTX 980 Ti hybrid SLI was just 69fps avg.

223dcb7b883e7c7ca7ca0d5422d2a10a.png

Besides that, I looked at a youtuber doing the benchmark and both of his GPUs showed the same results -

39e75eb3777515b9fe9351eee72eaed0.png

But what I got was a lot weirder, my second GPU was really lacking.

77bab8aaecc341ac30e2a6988adc4d2b.png

Is this normal?
What could be the problem?

Last edited:

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
Can you host the screenshots on the forum please?
What are the full system specs?
Can you post a screenshot of GPUz?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
SLI is disabled...the second card is in 2D clocks. If you look at your GPUz screenshots, note where it says "NVIDIA SLI" and to the right it says DISABLED? Enable SLI. ;)

OP
topless_banana

topless_banana

Registered
SLI is disabled...the second card is in 2D clocks. If you look at your GPUz screenshots, note where it says "NVIDIA SLI" and to the right it says DISABLED? Enable SLI. ;)

Well this is embarrassing. I didn't know you have to manually enable SLI, but this leads me to another problem.

SLI needs to be enabled through an option in nVidia panel that I don't have.

hh.png

And yes, both cards are connected with the SLI bridge that came with my motherboard.

Edit: I played around with the SLI cable and no results. This is how it should look like, right?

jj.jpg

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Please list your complete system specifications... CPU/Mobo/Ram/PSU etc...

EDIT: Your board supports SLI... are they in the grey slots? Did you install drivers again after you installed the new card?

OP
topless_banana

topless_banana

Registered
Please list your complete system specifications... CPU/Mobo/Ram/PSU etc...

EDIT: Your board supports SLI... are they in the grey slots? Did you install drivers again after you installed the new card?

I installed both cards at the same time. I have the newest drivers. Both cards are in the grey slots.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Uninstall all drivers. Use DDU to do so. Reinstall drivers.

Is the BIOS on the motherboard updated to the latest version?

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
I've had quite a bit of experience with SLI and there are times it can be very difficult to get it to recognize the "SLI" connection. I'd start by wiping and re-installing the drivers. Make sure to go into custom install and do a "clean" installation. This removes any previous driver settings. If this doesn't work, then remove one card and re-do the wipe/install. Once you have re-started, shut down, install the second card with the bridge and it "should" recognize it.

OP
topless_banana

topless_banana

Registered
Uninstall all drivers. Use DDU to do so. Reinstall drivers.

Is the BIOS on the motherboard updated to the latest version?
I've had quite a bit of experience with SLI and there are times it can be very difficult to get it to recognize the "SLI" connection. I'd start by wiping and re-installing the drivers. Make sure to go into custom install and do a "clean" installation. This removes any previous driver settings. If this doesn't work, then remove one card and re-do the wipe/install. Once you have re-started, shut down, install the second card with the bridge and it "should" recognize it.

So I did all of these things. I updated my bios to the absolutely newest version. I uninstalled my GPU drivers with DDU in safe mode. No change. I removed my second GPU, uninstalled the drivers in safe mode with DDU and installed them in a clean install and only after I attached the second GPUwith a different SLI cable (by MSI not ASUS, but it was fresh out of the bag). Still no option for SLI. Extremely frustrating.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
This is a guess... but try only having one monitor plugged in to one GPU and see if you can get SLI going...

EDIT: Did you install chipset and ME drivers from the ASUS website?

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
tried it, no change. How can this be? It doesn't make any sense. Both cards are completely functional, and so it the SLI cable.

no, I'm on windows 10.

Can you post a screenshot of System Properties in Windows Explorer please?

OP
topless_banana

topless_banana

Registered
This is a guess... but try only having one monitor plugged in to one GPU and see if you can get SLI going...
Nothing happens when I plug my second monitor into the second GPU. It doesn't display anything. No SLI either.

EDIT: Did you install chipset and ME drivers from the ASUS website?
No, I just installed newest BIOS, but I installed everything from the DVD that came with the motherboard when I put the PC together, which had a ton of drivers.
The truth is the ASUS website is a huge pain when it comes to finding drivers you need. I'll try to find them.

Can you post a screenshot of System Properties in Windows Explorer please?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, maybe these?

3.png 2016-05-19_171622.png

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
I would try one of the older drivers myself. Something in the late 350's. Sometimes new drivers don't always handle SLI very well.

OP
topless_banana

topless_banana

Registered
I would try one of the older drivers myself. Something in the late 350's. Sometimes new drivers don't always handle SLI very well.

Funny you should say late 350's as I had 359.21 on my PC already. I did the full thing where I uninstalled the previous driver, removed the GPU and only put the GPU back in after installing the driver, unfortunately with no results.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Nothing happens when I plug my second monitor into the second GPU. It doesn't display anything. No SLI either.
I asked you to try with one monitor plugged into the main card... (though I doubt it will work) not to try the other in the other card.

No, I just installed newest BIOS, but I installed everything from the DVD that came with the motherboard when I put the PC together, which had a ton of drivers.
The truth is the ASUS website is a huge pain when it comes to finding drivers you need. I'll try to find them.
The drivers from the disk are typically older than what is on the website. The website looks fine and is easy to navigate to me... just get the chipset drivers and ME drivers (if W10 didn't do it for you, LOL).

Side note, only install the drivers that you need. installing everything on the disk is a good way to cause conflicts and install items you will never use.