• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is My SSD Dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

livnthedream

First, the situation: I have my ssd set up as my gaming drive (steam/mmo's) and everything had been normal until I went to open steam and the entire computer froze. This is abnormal in and of itself. Its been smooth as butter since I built it just shy of a year ago (will be a year at the end of March). Tried to reboot, and Windows (7 Ultimate) wants to repair, and both that option and trying to load normally going into infinite loading screen mode. The only way I can get it to boot is by cracking the case and unplugging the sata3 cable from the ssd itself.

Relevant information:
Proc: I5 3570k
Mobo: ASRock z77 Extreme 4
Mem: Kensington Hyper Red 16gig @1600mhz
Gfx Card: Gtx 680ti (Zotac)
Power: KingWin Lazer Platinum ATX 850 Watts 80+ Platinum
HDD: Western Digital 1tb (Blue)
SSD: Samsung 840 Series (SSD) 250 GB Sata

Mobo is throwing 4f, 62, 99, a2 as errors on startup, which all point to sata devices.

So, questions!

Anyone have a clue as to what is actually wrong, and if it is fixable? I really do not know where to begin. Could it be the power supply? I mean the mobo is tossing those errors even with the sata unplugged (I believe it was throwing more when the sata was plugged in, I can check if you would like). Is the drive just fried? Is there something else I can do? Any help would be appreciated. :(

Depending on which controller the drive is connected to, try switching it to either the ASMedia or Intel controller, including trying different ports on the same controller. And assuming the OS was installed w/ the controller mode set to AHCI, make sure the alternate controller is also set to AHCI if switching.

Can I have that again in English?

Is that something I should be changing in software or switching ports on the mobo itself? Nothing has changed software wise, are you thinking a hardware port has went bad?

So I tried switching ports, made no difference. Did a Google search of the term you used and all I got out of it was maybe reinstalling my os would help? Nothing had changed software wise for at least 2 days before, and all that I did was install a game and update my video drivers to the newest beta. They were all working fine with it for 48 hours or so before it just stopped working, which is why I was leaning to hardware failure. I have windows update and all that jazz set to ask before installing/downloading so that shouldn't have changed anything.

Even then if I wanted to try an change its software options, nothing recognizes it, not even the bios. As I said before, windows won't load at all with it enabled. Even trying to plug it in after windows is running causes the system to freeze.

Back