• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my temperature guage accurate?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anjow

Hi,

I'm using an A64 3700+ San Diego on an ASROCK Dual SATA2 motherboard, cooled by an Akasa AK-913 with 1 akasa branded 80mm fan pushing through it. I've also got 2x 120mm thermaltake case fans.

Using MBM I can acquire 2 temperatures so I assumed that the highest one is the core temp. However, when I was using my previous setup of a 3000+ Barton and a Volcano 11, temps were on average around 12-14 degrees C higher.

The ambient temperature of my case ranges throughout the day and night - my room is organised like this:

||Window|| ---- ||Case on floor|| ---- ||Monitors on desk|| ---- || Rest of room||

I use the monitors to heat the half of the room that I sit in because they are like little radiators they heat up so much. They almost provide a 'wall' of heat, so where I am sat is warm, but anything on the window side is cold. This leads to ambient temperatures of between 17 and 23 degrees C, depending on how cold it is outside, and my idle/load temps range from 23/26 to 28/32 depending on how open the window is. My box is on the floor on the window side of my monitors, so it doesn't get warmed at all.

What I'm trying to ascertain is if this is realistic for my setup, or whether the sensors are inaccurate. Could anyone give me a clue?

Thanks.

Temp sensors on the mobo's are by default, junk. Take them with a grain of salt. If it is stable that is all that really matters. Use the temps as a rough guide only, not as fact.

Yes, I agree. No ones has the right temps being reported by their mobo. An A64 system does run much cooler than an AXP.

Need to find a program to monitor temp on a Intel D945Gnt M/B. Went to Intel com. They sent me to places that no longer exist. MBM 5 no help. I have spent days on O/C and can't find anything. XP-PRO-SP2
Thanks

Both SpeedFan and Everest should report temps. Everest is withdrawing it's frrebe, but it should still be around somewhere.

I measue my CPU temp by taping one of my fan controller's thermistors on the back of the motherboard where the processor is. It is less accurate at lower temps but more accurate at higher temps, from what I can tell due to the insulation properties of the motherboard. I also tape a piece of foam on top of it so it reads the mobo temp, not ambient.

For the most part my internal and external temperature probes agree with each other, except that my external probe reads higher temps at full load. I trust the external one more than my onboard.

Back