• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my whole cmputer dead!!??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dancing_Priest

Hello guys , a question , my ****ing cousin just shorted two wires from a fan adaptor to the side of the case , now , the connector was only attached ot the psu , not the mobo. The system just died and it wont start again , i have tried using numerous cables ,so the fuse and the socket are okay and the socket works with the monitor , also when i connect the power cable to the psu , it makes the little spark noise. , my question is , do you think that only the psu has been affected , or could the drives and the mobo be fried also?

Regards
Dancing_Priest

Well, I can't make any promises, but there is a good chance that it is just the PSU. And it may even be as simple a replacing a fuse in your PSU.
Many PSU's I've taken apart had a small fuse in them. You could open it up and check it with a volt meter.
Otherwise, swapping in a spare PSU, if you have one, or buying a new PSU will quickly determine if the rest of your parts survived.

If you do open the PSU, don't forget that the capacitors can give you a kick if you're not careful!

Cheers , I appreciate the advice , I really hope its just a fuse or the psu , Do you know how i would go about draining those caps tho?

Actually, no, I don't know how to drain them. I would think that grounding the +12 or the +5 output from a Molex connector, or the main ATX connector would do it if you left it connected to a ground for a little while. But I simply do not know enough about the way power supplies work to be sure.
When I have taken them apart, I have simply been careful.
I tried a couple of searches on Google to find a link for general tips for digging in to a PSU, but I didn't come up with much.

Since I have no way of knowing how much you know about computers and electrical equipment (your knowledge could easily surpass mine), I thought I should mention the possibility, since I was also mentioning that you might be able to fix your problem by opening it up.

Edit: I forgot about this site!
http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_Repair.html

And discharging capacitors,
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/smpsfaq.htm#smpssafdc

Last edited:
If you're lucky your PSU will have capacitors that will drain themselfes automatically (if you have a "bleeder").. However, if you're less lucky.. you could get some nice voltage through your body.. Be careful and test it out with a voltmeter if you can. Remember that the heatsinks in the psu can be live as well..

Aw heck it'll only hurt for awhile and the nice thing about voltage isn it'll cauterize itself, just kidding! I'd unplug it fromm the wall, disconnect alll the power leads then short all the power leads from the one of the molex connectors together, no garauntee but that should drain any big voltages down.

You could be even luckier:
If you haven't already, let the pc sit for 10 or 15 minutes unplugged, then plug it in and try again: I have made that same OOPS! a few times myself and gotten lucky: everything still worked.

If not, then trying another psu is next and hopefully will get the system back up.

Good luck.

yes, ive touched wires together as well, and if u let it sot for 30 min... it should be fine again... if not there is always ur cousin

to drain the psu, unplug the wire and press the power putton a few times, the fans should move or what not if the caps arent drained

push the button a few times, then wait 10 mins and it should be good, just be careful

speaking from a previous experience where i shorted my puter
it wouldnt work for like 30 minutes, then i tried it the next day it worked fine, mightve been a fuse of some kind

also same deal happened to a vid card of mine

and when your working ona psu dont grround yourself

An Update

Well , last night I done a little test , and opened up the psu to check the fuse , and it was fine , nothing like the blown fuse in my other psu. so I hooked it up to the family dell , (just the mobo) - it posted and the fans on the psu spun , I then hooked the psu from the dell to my mobo and , nothing. I've got a very bad feeling about this ,
made worse by the fact that I spent 100 euro on parts in the last week , sd-ram , and a pal xp ( the only proc that works on the kk266r)"!!!! , and theyre pretty useless if I have to get a new mobo! , well at least all the drives are alive.
So , what do you guys think , dead mobo?

ps , i'll try it now , its been about 14 hours so , .......

Once again
Cheers

Well , Hi ho hi ho Its off to komplett I go with a wad of cash , Oh goodie!! :( , does anyone want to buy 256 megs of sdram , a duron 900 and a paly 1700 and a fried mobo?

Could be worse , I could have a working gateway ;-) nice o/c you got there though .
As far as I see it its a very good excuse to buy an nforce 2 and a 1700b , so its not all bad

Back