• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is Nvidia REPLACING the Budget FX Line?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Atari

Hey all!

Its been said a thousand times that the 5200 and 5600 just blow(basically all of them that use the NV 30/31 core). So the only thing to look at seriously is the 5900. Does anyone know if Nvidia is planning on replacing the budget cards to use the NV 35 core that the 5900 uses?? I'm looking to replace my GF3 Ti500 in the summer and need something to upgrade (ATI is not an option). But only wanna spend $250 tops. I really dont wanna buy a GF4 since I would like to get the latest core (ie. nv35). So was wondering if the 5600 will get rebuilt with the new nv35 core anytime soon? Anyone have any info?

Thanx!

lol no.. I just have my reasons for not buying an ATI. I'm a student and work primarily in 3D. So far ATI has nothing but problems running the apps that I use, so I use Nvidia cards. I should be buying a quadro but the regular Geforce's work pretty well and their cheaper =p.

Yeah uhhh they may start replacing em.... in about a year. Most people who buy the cards dont know that they arnt that great. So Nvidia is making money even though the cards suck. So what incentive would they have to replace them?

If you really got to be an Nvidia leach then you should just buy a ti4600... seriously its a better buy than the joke known as the FX.

And you can save some money. All the Nvidia clowns will be selling there ti4600's and downgrading to a the 5600, snag a cheap ti4600. Not like you need DX9 right?

Also... what ATI card gave you these problems? Are ya sure you dont wanna try ATI again? Seriously my last card was a ti500... I loved it. But man this 9700 pro OWNZ.

Last edited:
I would get the 5600 ultra if it didnt suck... It's still based on the NV 30 (or NV 31 core i forget). That why I am asking the question whether the 5600 will be replaced with the better nv35 core the 5900 has.

IMHO.... not anytime soon. They would only do it... if it was going to make them more money than the current FX line... my guess is its not worth doing. They got lots of people with a blind allegiance to their company who will buy Nvidia even if they could get something better for cheaper.

IR1 said:

If you really got to be an Nvidia leach then you should just buy a ti4600...

Nvidia leach? Listen im not getting into another ATI vs. Nvidia discussion. I would buy an ATI but like I said in my original post , ATI's drivers currently do not function with the 3D apps that I use. Nvidia's does. Its simple as that.. I would love to buy an ATI if they could run more then just games. But so far that's what ATI offers which is what the card is built for. So if ATI actually worked with 3D apps I would consider them. But they don't. I'm sorry if your an fanATIc. If it would make yah feel better I'll lie and say i'm buying an ATI. Hows that. Feel better?

relax man it wasnt really an insult.. more or less just a joke. Why dont you flip out. Here ill say im sorry... SORRY. Feel better?

I gave you some serious advice, I do have the ability to read I know you had problems with 3d apps , something I have little experience in. Next time ill try not to throw out dangerous words like Nvidia Leach.

Oooo watch out... Nvidia leach... cuts through people like a butter knife. Oh no i said it again!

Also I told you my last card was a ti500. I dont hate Nvidia... Im not here to start a ATi vs Nvidia thread. I think the FX line is a joke, and Nvidias Iq blows. But I dont hate em. I like a good old fasioned capalistic showdown! And right now ATI is winning... no biggy. If Nvidia made the 9700 pro.. id buy theirs.

EDIT... SO YES my vote ti4600!!! Cheap(er) and still very good, can beat the 5600 in many areas!

One other question... the 3d apps you use are they opengl based?

Seriously, if you are going to be running all sorts of 3D apps then get a Ti4200 and do the soft quadro hack. Instant quadro for about $100.

Since they probably won't be changing the cores that might be your best option.

ps do you mean ATI cards don't work at all for your apps or they just aren't as fast as NVidia cards? I know the NVidia GF4s are faster for 3d apps, but I've never heard of programs that ATI cards won't run at all. What apps are they?

As another though. I wonder if those fireGl or whatever ATI cards would work... they way to expensive though. I cant imagine buyin one when a Geforce 4 will suffice.

ATI just has problems with highend 3D applications (i.e Maya for example, especially under linux).
They have problems with loading icons, textures, viewport displays, Memory leaks ect.. I mean these cards are not supposed to work with these kinda apps I understand this, but believe it or not the Geforce lines can run them pretty well. If i was totally into games and only games ATI would be my next purchase hands down. But I'm stuck with Nvidia since even now my GF3 ti500 can run the apps without too much trouble. Unfortunatley the soft quadro doesnt work to well with the gf4 lines :/.

Would a 9700 pro or np modded to a fireGL... with the softmod... work with the 3D apps? I mean I dont wanna keep trying to shove ATI in your face, but have you thought about it? Or seen any sites that have info on how well it works?

I did the soft quadro mod for my sister-in-law and it works great, but I guess since you have a Ti500 going to a Ti4200 really isn't much of an upgrade.

Have you done the quadro mod on your Ti500? That should give you a really nice boost if you haven't.

ps ATI cards are the stink in Linux. Its been a while, but last I heard they don't have any decent linux drivers for even gaming.

Thanx guys for the info! No I totally understand, I want an ATI but i'm working on my reel at the moment and I am animating all my characters soon which is why I would like a better card.. I actually never heard of that soft mod for ati but if it works i'm there! I'll have todo some searches for sure! Yea it looks like the gf4 line is still the better choice. It's just that I dont upgrade much and was looking foward to the latest and greatest core. Its a real shame that the budget cards are that crappy :/. But will defidently see if that soft mod for ati will work. Again thanks for the help guys!

Back