• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is oc worth the price?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tsang

Registered
i am planning to buy an XP1800 and oc it. i've never oc a computer before. so i wonder if it's worth the money. i figured that if i dont oc, i can probably buy some less expensive things.
obviously the thing that troubles me here is money. so i did a little math here. i am not going to unlock anything coz i can't afford a new cpu if i fry one. so fsb is the only thing i am going to touch. let say i managed to oc a XP1800 (1.53mhz) to XP2000 (1.67mhz). the price difference between the XP1800 and XP2000 is $100. and the price for branded rams + 3 fans + 50w extra psu power is almost $200.
so the question here is why dont i save that 200 bucks and spend half of that money to buy an XP2000 instead? i understand that many ppl take oc as a sport and i do find it fun and interesting too. but it just doesn't make sense to me that i have to spend more and get the same thing. i am not that poor or anything. i just want to get the most out of my money.:(

Welcome To The Forums!!!!!

.....and to the addiction:eek:

I don't live in the USA so prices are a little different here but everything is expensive. The thing with the PSU is that when your running a CPU rated at 1.4GHz & up a 300W may not be enough so the XP1800 would probably force you to buy a bigger PSU anyway. You can actually not have any case fans, you just need to keep the case open & have a stand fan directed to it. You'll probably be cleaning every week but that's the trade off. Just get quality parts together for a good start. Never buy cheap MoBos, RAM, HDDs or PSUs. Why not a XP1600 + a really good HSF? Is there a large enough price difference there?

Unlocking isn't that big of a deal... Doing that, I had my 1900+ running at 2100+ speeds stable... I notched it down just to be safe, but knowing that I can is wonderful... I love that I saved $100.

Get the XP Unlocking Kit from www.highspeedpc.com. It comes with easy directions, and if you make a mistake, the stuff wipes right off... For $11, it's well worth it to at least try unlocking, I think.

As far as it being worth it to overclock... It sure is fun, but all depends on what you are planning to do.

You will notice the greatest speed increase the higher you can get your Front Side Bus. If you can lower the multi, you can crank the FSB high, as long as you get good RAM. Unlocking is the way to go. Don't rule it out.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums! And as Sonny said, the addiction. :p

I bought the 1600, and I knew that I was going to overclock it. I bought a halfway decent fan, and I am now running the CPU at 1.55 GHz (above a AthlonXP 1800). I saved myself, what is it, $30? Maybe more. I do Photoshop, Maya, and programming, and it does help. I also just do it for fun.

Welcome to the forums!
I agree with Sonny. A 300w psu will probably run your xp but may not live long or be real stable. I ran a xp1900 on a 300 but with all my other components it was heavily taxed.
The extra money spent in guality components, imo, pays off in better stability in the long run. When you decide to upgrade you will have components that will most likely still be good enough to use for it, assuming that you stay with current ddr and don't go into pc3200 and go with something in the neighborhood of a 400-500w psu.
The real pay off in oc'ing is the bragging rights and the thrill of seeing what you can get out of your machine imho. Once you start oc'ing it is hard to stop and it is a cheap hobby compared to a lot of others like building cars and the like. :burn:

i love ocing it has kept my 1.13 athlon with crappy stepping alive for more then it should have.... im at 1.4 which doesnt seem like much but i think its ok for now... got a 300mhz oc which im sure doesnt sound like much to most people but i did afterall have a bad stepping.. try and unlock it... i did mine... im oced right now pretty much only with multi.... altho fsb would give me better results...

I'm on a very tight budget (student :rolleyes: ) but still, I never though of overclocking as saving me money, infact I'm pretty sure I've spent more cooling this chip that I could have spent getting a faster one. I overclock for the challange, the fun, those endless hours spent tweaking every last setting to squeeze the absolute maximum performance form any set up. It is a real hobby. People customise cars, not always to go faster, to make them personal, different from the norm. With o/c you can always be sure that you'll have something diffrent to the next guy.

I think most of the people in this forum OC for the challange, to solve the problems that arise when we throw down the gauntlet. The Thril(!?) of having the best performance you can get from your machine.

OC to save money stopped a few years ago when these chips started kicking so much heat.

I just bought a new mobo and a XP1700. I have overclocked the CPU to XP 2200+ speeds. If I had bought a XP2100+ I should paid 120$ more than I did for the XP1700+ So overclocking saved me about 120$ :)

have a 1700+ and oced it to 2000++ with a homemade watercooling system, at the time i saved aalmost 100 dollars, and spent like 30 on my system and my system will work on all future processors also!! and the goodness of quietness!!!!

also i consider it a investment... since i can keep the parts and oc the next CPU i get...

>>the thing that troubles me here is money. so i did a little math here. i am not going to unlock anything coz i can't afford a new cpu if i fry one. so fsb is the only thing i am going to touch. let say i managed to oc a XP1800 (1.53mhz) to XP2000 (1.67mhz). the price difference between the XP1800 and XP2000 is $100. and the price for branded rams + 3 fans + 50w extra psu power is almost $200.

These are good questions to ask before diving in.... here's another perspective that may be helpful; when we invest money into a system that we're going to live with for awhile, it also becomes relevant as to what level of quality we want in the gear that's going to serve us... someday soon, it will all be getting old, and start to become obsolete- but we get to choose whether we'll own an old Cadillac, or an old piece of junk someday. High quality parts with extended capabilities tend to provide longer lasting performance before fading into obsolesence, have better upgradability, and make for more stable, reliable machines.
The option to purchase top quality components with the money that we could have blown paying for the leading edge in cpu's, that will cost half as much in 4 months, is smart use of money, spent with forethought and integrity.

A solid, beautifully designed case from a company like Antec, with plenty of fans already in it and a top quality 400 watt power supply (sx840 or sx1040), will run about $75 more than a generic, cheeze-whiz unit...

Excellent quality ram (like Samsung) with a lifetime warranty, can be had for only $20 or so more than generic junk..

A Thermalright AX-7 heatsink is only $30, and will do an awesome job even with a generic $1.75 case fan stuck on it- and cool any Socket A cpu we're going to ever see built..

A top quality motherboard (like Asus, or Abit, and a few others) will run $50 more than a generic one... and still be cranking out rock solid performance and getting excellent bios updates long after the $50 was piddled away on something you can't even remember...

And most of this can be paid for simply by buying a cpu that has only a bit less multiplier coded into it..!

Of all the components in your system, the cpu is the one thing which will drop in price and become obsolete faster than anything else.. perhaps the really smart money would go to the best of components with a cheap, fast new Duron plugged into it until the T-breds are debugged, and the research has been paid for with hyperinflated prices. Have we forgotten how fast 1.3 gig really is..?... for only $60!!

As far as overclocking goes.. there's a difference between mild to moderate overclocking that can be done with almost any components, and extreme overclocking. Taking an 1800+ to 2000+ speeds is only a matter of increasing the fsb to 145mhz- a relatively mild bump that requires practically nothing in the way of component upgrades, save a decent heatsink/fan- even the cheesiest of memory will usually handle it with the right timings..

Increasing the fsb speed of your system will produce performance increases that cannot be duplicated by simply running a faster mhz cpu.. for an extra $30, the upper ends of this realm can be entered by anyone- unlocked, guaranteed cpu's are available here:
http://www.pretestedcpus.com/

I have a 14 year old graphic arts wizard who is being served well with a system almost 2 years old now, because I bought a 650Duron instead of a 1gig Athlon, and put the money I saved into great components.

Those great components will support the XP1600+, that runs at 1800+, and is coming out of my 16 year old hardcore geek's system when he gets a new Thoroughbred later this year- paid for, mostly, with the money we saved by not buying an 1800+ at the time...

that's how it works for us anyway.....

Best wishes on your new system, whatever you choose.. and enjoy :)

Last edited:
nicely said.. i would also like to point out that i have saved a good amount of money by ocing me multi to 1.4 from a 1.1 and plan to move to s xp 1.4 (1600) and oc that as high as it will go... but i wont need to change my cooling for this because i have good parts..

about the money....

Yes, spend the smart money on good parts (power supply, fans, etc) to support the performance your looking for. In the long run, the smart money parts will still be with you.
As for cars, got that one covered too. Raced 1/4 mile for years with alot less money then alot of my competitors. Spend the money on the smart parts...

Charlie
my race site :D

Back