• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is power supply up for the job...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DemonTraitor

System (stock speed):
The system is going to be used for Video Editing and Image Processing - NO GAMING AT ALL

• ASUS P6T SE m/b
  • Intel i7 920
  • G.Skill 12gb DDR3
  • Radeon HD 5770
  • Enermax Liberty ELT500AWT
Idle...
VCore: 0.94v
+12: 11.3v
AVcc: 3.34v

100% Load (Prime95)
VCore: 1.21v
+12: 11.25v
AVcc: 3.34v

Does this look ok? The voltages never fluctuate, and are rock steady - Is the vcore suppose to drop when idle?

Any advice is welcome - thanks :)

burebista

Those are measured via software right? SpeedFan if I'm not mistaken. Because if you have 11.25V in load on +12V your computer should shutdown/restart itself. :)
Measure with a DMM if you want accurate values.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
With stock settings, vcore will probably drop at idle to save power. That's normal.

Your +12v and AVcc voltages won't be measured accurately by software, like burebista said. They're probably fine.

Rich'[ard]

yeap last time i chcked Speedfan to see what my 12v rail was at...it said 11.32v
even though my PSU isn't top quality...i don't think it'll get THAT low lol

by the look of your specs, 500w should be enough anyway. you'll be fine. :thup:

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
Note the item Joeteck listed to is definitely an easy, painless way to test voltages on your PSU. However, it will not necessarily tell you whether the PSU is good or not because it does not place a load on the unit. Idle voltages are easy to maintain for pretty much any PSU. It's under load where a faulty PSU will show its true colors.