• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is putting a fan next to hard drive safe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sramjones

Disabled
Can the vibrations of a fan that is touching or very close to a hard drive effect the hard drives

I have 2x36 gig raptors in raid 0 and they get kinda hot.

So I put, the fan in my removable drive bay. It is just a molex fan that came with my chiefetec case. and it does vibrate

so is this ok, are there any low vibration fans

kenkun

Registered
If it were a large fan I would say: unlikely, but possible. There's always a chance of emi as well. If it is a slot fan or smaller sized case fan, then I would think not. Also, unless they are being shaken around uncontrollably, I don't think the vibrations would do any harm as well.
Panaflo fans tend to be quiet and vibrate a lot less than your average joe fan. :)

Moto7451

Senior Something
Fans don't put out too much EMI. I worry more about the case's speaker actually. Some cases have a speaker that will draw screws to it that are ~1 inch away & are placed right unner the drive bays. Not cool IMO.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
Yeah, most fans should be a fine. A fan that obviously vibrates (you can feel it shake) shouldn't be touching the hard drive.

Get yourself some Panaflos..I love my L1A's.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Had 80mm antec fan around 2 of my harddrives for years (3-4 if not mistaken) they still run great. It was mounted in a removable rack not more then a couple mm's from the harddrives so if thats close enough for u for information hopfully that helps.