• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is SBC Yahoo DSL Linux Friendly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Busty St. Clair

well i was thinking to put this in the networking section but i thought that the linux people would know best. dsl should be detected as regular LAN correct. I have wanted to use linux for a while but its kinda pointless because i can't use my current dialup provider(netzero). also does anyone know of a cheap decent sound card that plays nice with linux because i read that my current one has some issues(creative soundblaster pci 128).

Christoph

JAPH Senior
Most soundcards will be fine, and it should be easy to find a good one for less that US$20 shipped. Check Alsa's site to see what will work.

As for the ISP, they probably are but I'd have a windows box around just in case. Often they'll require Bug^H^H^HInternet Exploiter to do some of the setup. Once the setup's done, you'll be able to access the Internet through them as long as they don't require a special client a la AOL.

ObnoxiousFrog

Registered
Christoph said:
As for the ISP, they probably are but I'd have a windows box around just in case. Often they'll require Bug^H^H^HInternet Exploiter to do some of the setup. Once the setup's done, you'll be able to access the Internet through them as long as they don't require a special client a la AOL.

You could get around the special client "thingy" by setting up a shared internet connection through windowns. Does anyone even use that besides AOL?

MadSkillzMan

SBC DSL DOES work with linux, as long as your using the NIC and NOT USB. I currently have a SuSE box that i isntalled from the internet running through a router. Ive found with SBC , and if u have the 2wire modem, you need to activate it in windows first. The FIRST time u set it up, u get a CD, run the app put in your name and such. I think there was a remember ID option. This activates the modem.

From then on, i just make sure the networking in linux works. Whenever it asks about ADSL, or PPoE or PPP, i just ignore it. TRYING to configure it errors. Also if you can select autoconfigure DHCP your set.
To test your connection, bring up the Konsole and try the ping command with something lilke google, for example

Code:
ping [url]www.yahoo.com[/url]

If it comes back with something like "Error, no network device detected" . Also, yahoo.com DOES respond to pings, so if you get "error request host timed out" you have issues.

Being that you have dialup, see if someone you know with DSL can get u a KNOPPIX CD. This should answer your compatability problems.

As for your soundcard i dont know what to tell u. I had a problem with my old Dell OPTIPLEX GX PRO and Mandrake 10.0. I just needed to play with sndconfig from the konsole....another driver mite work with your current card. I thougth most SBLives were compatable? Basically i KNEW i was running different drivers, but it tests if sound with each choice, and if it comes out, then it works. its supposed to be some Crystal Audio CY4239 (or similar) driver, and it was running a Reltek (?) i dont remember. SuSE fixed it for me.

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
Pretty much any ISP should work so long as you're getting the connection through your ethernet card (assuming you've got a supported NIC, which almost all of them are). Avoid USB connected modems if you can.

Another option is to hook up a broadband router and use that. Gives you future expandability and guaranteed Linux compatibility even if you've only got one PC.

Keeping a Windows install around for those "Special situations" like the aforementioned account activation is a good idea as well, if you don't have a seperate Windows PC.

injinj

I have SBC/Yahoo, the 1.5-3.0mbit, not the cheaper one 700k-1.5. They gave me a Speedstream 5100 and it has a 1.9mbit cap on it, 400kbit up, pretty decent. It has DHCP capabilities, which is a lot easier to setup than the PPPoE, I had that previously through Verizon and it worked with Linux as well. The setup procedure is difficult to do without Windows, though. The router is initially blanked, without any account information on it, so it has to connect to the SBC mothership and register before the line will allow any traffic to the rest of the internet. That setup thing runs off the CD in a combination of HTML/Flash/ActiveX (I'm guessing), so the whole (gasp) Windows IE thing may be a requirement to run that.

MadSkillzMan

id say if you can request the 2wire home portal youll be fine. Also, do not get SBCs wireless modem/network. Not because wireless can be buggy, but its tough to setup in linux.

I was the first in my area to get it, and they setup a hub not but a few streets from my house. they do it kinda dumb here, they give the first person the wired modem, and all the following people the wireless. Whatever ours is still the fastest lol.

[EDIT]
SBC is currently P***iING ME OFF!

it likes to go down at random times at nite, then blink for about a half hour..and decide weather or not i have a signal. Call up sbc, used to get help, now i get blammed that its all my fault. Yup. They said my PC was the problem. I told them i had 5 all running through a router, and to take their pick which one was the issue. Then they said the modem was unsupported (which i got FROM THEM). ok so then they picked on the router....which says on the box SUPPORTED BY SBC.....then winxp "was unsupported" then they realized IT IS. So then of corse they said my linux box was the problem, and that shutting it off would regain my signal. funny thing is it wasnt even on. So then i asked "if its all my fault, then why do all my neighbors go off at the same time" which is true...they transfered me....then put me on hold....then disconnected me!

i called back and asked for abdar, apu, or habeeb or whatever his name was....who ever i got i dont care if it was him or not..i said "this is BS service. ive gone 1 year and never had problems. I had one when setting up, and atleast tech support spoke english. I quit aol because of this service and ill gladly quit you as well"....of corse they started the blame game...i hung up.

what do i get then? and evaluation notice! how was our help? what did u think? how can we improve?

atleast aol woulda given me free service......tho its crap...thought that counts

Last edited: