• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is that blue loading bar supposed to pause when loading XP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tipycol

Because it stops on my computer, for about 3 seconds. Then there's a flash on the monitor (the picture stays the same but it's like someone was moving the source for a split sec), then the loading continues. I don't think this is normal, but I haven't noticed any problems with the system. The flash also happened when I had Win98, but I never saw the bar freeze since I disabled it. Anyone have a similar problem or know what I'm taking about?

yep, it's supposed to do that... it's initializing drivers and the registry. nothing to worry about there...

K Thanks guys. Everytime it would do that I was wondering if it froze when booting or something. You think if I got a better system than my PIII it wouldn't take 3 seconds just to load the registry and drivers?

AFAIK:

Windows XP tries to predict what files it will need when loading the OS and copies them to c:\windows\prefetch. When the OS is loading (and as you're watching the blue bar), some of that time will be spent reading those files into memory.

Delete the contents of that folder, and those files won't be loaded into memory. Often, you'll see a speedup in boot times. (If you're worried about those files, you should make a backup copy before deleting them, or just move them to the trash can so you can restore them later.)

-- Paul

Really? Though it was some important folder. Thanks for the tip. I'll try that next time I use my comp (on family comp right now :)).

Yes, do try it. It's interesting. I think I've read that it's recommended that you clear out that folder every now and then.

But please, just to be safe, keep a copy of the contents of that folder the first time you do it. Just in case. ;)

If you do it, could you please time before and after in min/sec? I'm curious, too, as I haven't done this in awhile.

-- Paul

Back