• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is the 6800 gt a good choice?`

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slyfury

i just got into a bidding war on ebay for:

amd mobile athlon 64 3000+

and

BFG 6800 gt

im looking into getting the msi k8n neo platinum

would this setup be ok?

im looking in to also getting 2x256 of kingdton hyperx pc4000

they would go into my wave master with a 420w raidmax psu

does anyone see any problems with the possible configuration?

Pake

The psu will most likely be the weak point. It's a cheap generic, so you'll want to get something better from Antec or Fortron to make sure all your components are getting what they need.

OP
slyfury

slyfury

thanks guys, any specific models i should look into for the antec psu? also what fan or watercooling system should i get for the cpu?

Kenshiro

I don't know much about Antec PS, but I think they are pretty good. Personally, I use the Thermaltake PS and I am extremely happy with it. If you intend to get the 6800 vid card, make sure your PS is at least 350W. This does not include the power you will need if you do intend your o/c your system. I won't go below 450W.

Dragonprince

Just remember that a cheapo 550w supply wont last compaired to an well built 400w. I bought a PC Power and Cooling Silencer 410w unit. Its expensive, but quiet and rock solid running my OC'd Mobile 2600 at 2.6Ghz, 3 hard drives, 2 DVD/CD drives, Audigy2, 1 gig of ram, vidoe card and 5 case fans....

Yuriman

I strongly suggest a gig of ram as well. If you arent trying to set overclocking records(better off with 1 stick of ram then) then you will definantly miss the performance. It is very noticable on my system.

Nandro

Disabled
I had the K8N neo plat and am changing to the epox NF250 board. I couldnt overclock worth a turd and everything I had been reading pointed to problems with it as far as cheap capacitors on their boards. I didnt take this seriously untill my board fried. I did not rma it because I do overclock, but I do expect sturdy boards, especially those targeted at the enthusiast marked. Check in the MB section for more info.

WheaT

Dont get the kingston Ram. A buddy and myself have Kingston HyperX pc4000 and are not happy with it. IVe heard nothing about good things from OCZ. If I had the chance to do it over again, I would go with that.