• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the Antec 1200 any good for water cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sweefu

Hey all,
i am planning to buy an antec 1200 but i've had a thought, are they and good for water cooling? I mean keeping it inside the case not having an external rad.
Could you put a 2x120mm rad on the back exhaust? Is there anywhere else internally you could put radiators? Has anyone done watercooling in the 1200? (pics?)

Thanks.

Rich'[ard]

hey man, what's going on :santa:
here's some pics of killuazaoldyeck's setup
killuazaoldyeck
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5962016&postcount=26
i think it's the coolest Antec 1200 w/ced i've seen here :thup:

you can fit one in the front HDD bay area, if you take out the HDD cages. the 1200 has space for 4 120mm fans, so you could have space for a 3x120mm rad then place your HDDs and dvd drives in the free slot.

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I owned one prior to the obsidian. You can easily mount a 2x120mm rad internally (or externally at the same place). You can probably mount the a 2x120mm rad up top as well with some mods. You can also get a 'skinny' 3x120mm rad up front but you would likely lose the drive bays. So long as you only have 3 of HDD's/Opticals, that can be done with light mods.

OP
sweefu

sweefu

Sorry about the late reply here guys.
Thankyou for the help, as for w/c would a 2x120mm rad cool most phenom II chips better than very good air coolers?
Thanks.

Dooms101

It depends on water flow rate (aka your pump), your water block, what else is in the loop, the kind of radiator you use, your fans, and how your airflow is.

From what I've read/seen most people use a 120.2 to cool their CPU on a single loop and sometimes include mosfet blocks, NB/SB blocks, ram blocks... and still manage to cool very well. Water cooling tends to be able to dissipate heat much in larger amounts at high ambient to cpu temp deltas. So water cooling would have closer to ambient temps compared to good air cooling, and will allow higher OC's (assuming temp is holding you back...) because it can dissipate more thermal wattage then air can.

jokers_greg

in general, even with a crappy pump and tiny tubing, a double rad WC setup will cool better than any air solution out there. However you could do much better. Pick up a decent pump (i.e DDC or D5), use tubing that's 7/16" to 1/2" inner diameter (the difference is minor, but larger tubing diameter results in better performance. looks like 1/2" is pretty standard, no shortage of parts out there!). Any 2x120mm rad will do, but I prefer known companies ie swiftech or thermochill or HWlabs etc. You don't need a reservoir, and you won't experience any performance increase if you do decide to get one, that's purely for convenience (as opposed to a 'T' connection).

From my experience, WC is hella fun and I'd recommend it to anyone to try out.

Marshmallow64

Its fairly good but you gotta do some modding. I personally think there are better cases out there for water cooling. For more info look up tjharlow on youtube. He built a very nice water cooling setup on an antec 1200. It will give you some ideas. He had the radiator in the front behind the 3 fans.