• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the asus probe read accurate temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joe

Registered
i was just wondering if the asus probe reads accurate temps. if not then how off is it? and that when over clocking what should be a limit on the temperature that u do not want to pass before ur computer becomes unstable. thanks for help.

I heard they are 10C too high but I don't have an asus board so I don't know. limit it to 60C is shutdown.

Yes they are off. By how much I'm not sure. I need to get a thermal senser and measure the temps. I get temps consistantly around 50 to 60 degrees cesius at idle! I had watercooling on the cpu and temps were exactly the same as they are with a cheap cpu cooler on the chip. Go figure.

yea same i bought a new HSF and im still getting the same temps what a rip! lol o well i guess ill try some overclocking. thanx for the help everyone

It is not necessarily off. For P2B-F it is accurate and has calculated correction. Because I use thermistor it was easy for me to compare against normal room thermometers.

I find it a bit sloppy people saying that temp with Asus probe is 10 degrees higher than actual as a fact. For somebody with CPU at already too high temps it could be a very bad advice.

It's been a well know issue that Asus probes are bad for a long time now. I apoligize to for making it sound like they are all off though. I should have been a little more specific. The temp probe on mine are off I believe.
I'm not telling people to not worry about there high temps because the probe is wrong. I would recommend that if there a little uneasy about it, they should invest in a thermal detector to measure the temps more accurately.

I think that too high temperature readings are a mostly problem for motherboards with in-socket thermistors. Asus A7 motherboards seem to be frequently involved in these problems.

I just reacted because I had just read one thread with somebody claiming to have CPU temperatures below room temperature with rather diffuse air cooling and toothpaste as thermal compound (not a joke according to writer). I don't know if he uses Asus probe for sensoring but the point is that generalizations like 'Asus reads 10 degrees off' can lead to bizarre statements like that.

The toothpaste isn't a joke guys, it really works but it hardens after 2-3 months and become a heat insulator instead of a condactor. I use toothpaste as a thermal compound but I'll be replacing it soon.
The toothpaste conducts electricity, so be carefull. But the temps in my comp droped like by 10C°.

I suppose it works (I prefer ASII). But I was referring to too low temperature. With air cooling you can't get below ambient - that would be against laws of physics. It would be possible if your toothpaste evaporated a lot or if there would be an endothermic chemical reaction going on. I don't believe these could be consume enough energy or go on for longer periods of time.

Back