• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the core making contact with the heatsink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tru2ya

I have a thermaltake copper shim and was just wondering if there was a way to tell if the core was making good enough contact with the heatsink because i cant tell by eye balling it. Also my shim came a little bent when it was delivered in a little envelope, so i had to bend it back the best i could. Do you think i should hammer it down just to make sure?

What heatsink are you using? If your shim came bent or dented, I wouldn't use it because with it bent it may lift the heatsink up preventing contact. It's either perfect or not. If you know how to apply a heatsink properly, you shouldn't need a shim anyways. Also another way to see if it's making contact is to take off the heatsink and see if there's an Arctic Silver imprint.

i agree with yodums, haven't used a shim yet. just put it on and take it off and see if your thermal paste is making full contact with the base.

Back